Cheap Linux Box

Mike

I was using an old Dell P3 and setting it up as a linux box when the motherboard died. Dell was happy to ship me a new one... for $300. I hung up on them.

Anyone have any experience with the computers at Tigerdirect? I saw some for like $329 and then a rebate on top of that. I'd rather do something like that than spend $300 on such an old machine.

Any recommendations?

TigerDirect usually has some very good prices, but be prepared to be VERY patient waiting for the rebate checks to arrive. Also, pay close attention to details when filling out the rebates, that can be a bit/alot complicated.

I usually prefer to find good priced stuff WITHOUT the hassle of a rebates (try new-egg also).

Best of luck!!

edit: I just saw you number of posts.....you need no advice from me :unsure:

another dell, this w/ an amd sempron processor for $279:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/compa...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

Dimension E521 Sempron 3400+ 512MB DDR2/80GB, DVD, No monitor, Geforce 6150 LE $279 shipped free.

Customize It on Dimension E521, Customize It on Leftmost. Remove Monitor

Faster monitor-less configs:
Center config is a faster Athlon 64 3200+ for $319
Right config is a very fast Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ for $399

Gave my Dell to my daughter (old pentium machine).

Bought a TD elcheapo machine to use for Homeseer but it's far too noisy (fans !)

Wish I had kept the Dell !

Neil

nsisman said:
Gave my Dell to my daughter (old pentium machine).

Bought a TD elcheapo machine to use for Homeseer but it's far too noisy (fans !)

Wish I had kept the Dell !

Neil
Neil;

YOu might want to see if the Antec Sonata case sale is still valid that I listed in the "Hot Deals" forum. I have four of these cases because of how quiet they are!

Tiger Direct sells a lot of refurb units, too, so be careful about what you are getting for the money. Sometimes they work out ok, and other times they have short warantees and you can get stung.

Back