Childproof lightswitches

signal15

My 2 year old keeps getting out of bed in the middle of the night and playing with his lightswitch, and then getting up. I put some tape over it so he can't mess with it, and he gives up after 10 seconds and goes back to bed.

Looking for something more high tech, or better suited, than tape. Even a cover over the switch that was difficult to open would be fine.

I think that even if the switch doesn't do anything, but gives some tactile feedback, that feedback (movement, clicking, etc) is going to be enough to keep him interested. This is why I'm leaning towards a cover, unless you guys have any other suggestions.

Low tech, I would go with something like this. High tech, automate the switch, I would think that he would get bored pretty quick if it doesn't do anything.

There are plastic switch covers available at the Home Improvement stores. They are used
to water proof outdoor switches, they should keep little fingers off.

Cliffs

Low tech, I would go with something like this. High tech, automate the switch, I would think that he would get bored pretty quick if it doesn't do anything.

Yep, I went with the low tech option. I took a 1" square aluminum tube, and cut a hole in the backside of it, and drilled mounting holes. Wet sanded it with 600-grit, and it's done. Took me about 20 minutes to make the thing, and it looks way better than those plastic ones.

Back