Cmax & serial ports > 8

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way of telling Cmax to use a serial port which is not listed in the setup screen? My Ocelot is on com11, while the Cmax software only supports up to 8. Thanks!

I don't think you can do this, but hopefully Guy Lavoie will chime in. Might want to post this over at App Dig boards.

Can you rearrange other components that are receptive to higher com port numbers?

There are no other com ports listed, not sure why the OS assigned them such a high #. I haven't figured out yet how to change this.

As BSR hinted at, there is no way to address higher then Com 8 (which is already not bad, considering many programs only offer up to Com 4). If you don't really have ten com ports before it, then you might have a registry problem where these ports are "thought" to exist. If your system ever had a multiport card like a Digiboard, then that could be the cause.

I have a multiport hub, so I am sure that's the reason. I will be moving the hardware around, see if I can get it renumbered, and will look through the registry to see where Cmax stores these com port settings.

ADI stores the Serial port number at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ADI\CPUXA\Config\ComNum

You might try changing that value manually to see if it will work above 8.

electron said:
I have a multiport hub, so I am sure that's the reason. I will be moving the hardware around, see if I can get it renumbered, and will look through the registry to see where Cmax stores these com port settings.
I have a multi-port USB/serial adapter that I used in the past. Every time it was disconnected and reconnected (or sometimes when the machine rebooted), it would select the next set of COM port numbers (incrementing by 4 each time). You could go into the hardware manager and change them, but the next time they'd increment again. It made it a pain to configure programs which used those ports.

I ended up replacing it rather than puting up with this.

that's pretty much what happened here, I moved the USB serial multiport adapter to another USB port, and used a USB hub in between, and it changed all my ports. I'll try the registry first, and might have to go with a PCI card solution or something.

Did you try:
1) remove hardware
2) uninstall driver or remove it from the hardware manager list
3) reinstall hardware (and driver if necessary)

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes

The only thing I can think of is that my USB Hub is forcing the ports to be renumbered, but I need the hub since I don't have a long enough USB cable.

You might be able to change the assigned com port. If you go into Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Ports.

Look for you com ports and see what you have.

Select the port you want to change and right click and select properties. Then go to Port settings, advanced. On my Edgeport device I have the option of changing the com port number.

only COM2 was available, (it lists all other COM ports in use), so I moved it to that for now (for some reason, the option to change the port # didn't work before). But it looks like I lost all my system mappings, and the project file hasn't been modified at all. This is going to make it harder to figure out which input was doing what.

If you open the project map (prj) file, do you see your input names there? It is just a text file so it is easy to check.

It's all gone, even the X10 system maps. I can see the IR mapping, but it doesn't include the latest remote I added, odd. I did find a mucholder .prj file in a backup, and it has all the inputs listed, so I can at least reconnect my wiring now. But it looks like I am going to have to rebuild my Ocelot project from scratch anyways considering how everything is screwed up.

Back