Combine 12v - getting rid of wall warts

treo650

I'm not an electrical guy, so excuse if this is a dumb question...

Routers, switches, my VOIP box, etc etc at the wiring can/ (my "server" room) pretty much run on 12v, with different amperage.

Can I purchase a heavy duty 12v 8ah ac adapter, then split it with the below, thus eliminating individual wall warts?

(same concept as a cctv power distributer?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-to-8-Port-Power-Adapter-Splitter-Cables-8-Way-For-CCTV-Camera-/360462586928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ed3e9430#ht_2732wt_858

In theory you can. The only thing I don't like about that mentality is when people will obtain a large power source, then just start running the outputs all over the place without any circuit over current protection.

Think about it this way; say you have five devices running at one amp each. You get a five amp source then just start paralleling that source to all your devices. You now have a five amp capable power source if one of your devices has a problem (short). If your device has current protection (fuse) built in, you don't have a problem, but what would happen if you have a wire short before the device?

In your case, this may not be so much of a problem if all the devices are in one can (near each other). I am just throwing this consideration out in general as I see posts come up where people want to use a large current capable supply for their external devices and sensors (located in other rooms with wiring behind walls, etc...).

I think it is better to use a distribution panel such as the Elk PD9 series when wanting to distribute power from a large current capable source. Also you can easily place individual inline fuses while distributing to multiple locations as well.

All of the above should at least be considered before distributing a large current power source to multiple devices, especially in cases where it may be routed to other locations.

But say powering 5 devices, @12v.... All in one location, the above splitter will work okay?

I have a router, 8 port switch, two ooma VOIP, and one panasonic cordless.

I'm just looking to clean up room, nothing too hard core. Just cleaning up room and freeing up the power outlet strip.

You can do it, however, as alluded to, I would break up each load on a distribution and fuse (or PTC) panel. Most wall warts have an internal fuse, so all you are doing is mimicing the original overcurrent device.

I would not, however, recommend remote distribution of the supply without some sort of distribution and overcurrent protection, unless you want to let the magic smoke out if something shorts out somwhere.

Atx power supplies are an excellent an cheap way to do this. They are recurrent protected and usually free since most of us have an old computer. You can fuse each item inexpensively as well. There are terminal blocks on eBay for this that are cheap. The atx power supplies are far better power than the vast majority of wall warts. My router and other items never need reboot since I switched.

Atx power supplies are an excellent an cheap way to do this. They are recurrent protected and usually free since most of us have an old computer. You can fuse each item inexpensively as well. There are terminal blocks on eBay for this that are cheap. The atx power supplies are far better power than the vast majority of wall warts. My router and other items never need reboot since I switched.

Excellent tip Lou, will save a bunch of money for now. Thanks

Interesting. So you would cut off the molex heads and splice it directly into your device(s)? I wonder if there is anyway to make this look neat in a rack.

Seems like a real good idea.

Something to look out for is the actual voltage each wall wart is outputting. A power supply rated at 12 volts could be 12 or 14 volts. Shouldn't be a problem for alarm equipment but some cameras and computer routers could heat up over time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Make sure you add up the amperage and get the right size. One note I installed the C3 from HAI and I replaced its power supply with the cabinet style for my omnipro and for some reason I had horrible feedback from the phone system. I couldn't get a clear answer why this would happen but something was fishy - there must have been a filter in the wall wart or something. I made the cardinal mistake of cutting the wall wart with no lead to reconnect or barely enough . Fortunately HAI took care of me and got me a new one but that was a bigger mistake trying to do what you did. Another thing to consider if you devices don't have plugs (I think most of yours do) you will have to open up the transformer box and start disconnecting stuff unless you install inline switches... My transformer is up in the attic so not convenient to get to.

I have my c3 unit plugged into a terminal block powered by an atx power supply and it is not having any noise. Of course the prob might be some device that is sharing your power supply, not the power supply itself.

Could've been a ferite core that he cut off/removed when he changed to the ATX supply, and now without the choke, he was experiencing noise from either that component or other electrical noise that the chokes helped bleed off.

On the topic of eliminating wall-warts, here's a product I've been looking at for some time now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U39UX0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=unhappily-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000U39UX0

They have some different varieties, including fewer DC ports and adding in 2 120VAC plugs.

To me it's a little cleaner than hacking a PSU, and it'll fit nicely inside your structured media panel. Of course, it does cost a little more - but has the filtering and individual protection.

Back