"Coming Home" Automation Sequence

ph0n33z:

My home was recently burglarized, before I installed the security system. While talking with the Sheriff's Deputy I learned that one common mode of house entry is from stealing cars. That is not what happened to me, but the way it works is:

1) Burglar finds a car parked in the long-term lot at the airport.
2) Inside car is registration with names, addresses, and usually garage door opener.
3) Burglar observes house to make sure the tenants are really gone on a long trip and then moves in and clears the place out.

So. I like the idea of having to enter a PIN to get into the house. You can do whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally I wouldn't want to be in the situation where a single stolen hardware "key" can defeat the security system. With PIN required to enter, even if someone can get my house key there is still a security layer.

Just something to keep in mind or decide it's not a concern to you.

Best Regards,
Rod

Good luck. I've sent email after email to these guys never to get a response. I guess my email doesn't make it all the way the Australia. Also BSR has a how to to build something very similar using a palm pad in the how-to section.

Rupp

I dont think they are ready for sale as yet... Neil the developer is still testing them....

Im hoping to receive one shortly for testing and i may be meeting up with Neil on the weekend so i will mention there is some interest in his product.....

HTH
Frank

ph0n33z said:
What kind of "switch" would this be, and how would it work?
Once I installed a flat button switch under the carpet of my car. I unlocked a swtich timer that would cut power to the ignition of my car about 60 seconds after the driver door closed. The idea was to frustate carjackers. Other people placed the button under the steering column, but that was too easy.

Any button wired into a wireless transmitter contacts would work. In my case I would use a Caddx keyfob (since that is what I have), but there are other options like wireless X10 transmitter keyfobs. You would have to do some soldering.

How about a DS10A hooked to your shifter in the car. When placed in park, the magnets make contact and sends a normal to your HA system, when taken out of drive, it knows you are leaving and the alarm is then in ALERT mode.

It sends a more secure code than just and X10 signal.

About security, It is easy to trick my house into letting you in, but getting it to disarm is another story. So a driveway detection system may open the door and give you two minutes to disarm, so it is convienent for you, yet still secure in the they would only have 2 minutes (or 60seconds, whatever you want) to disarm before firing the alarms...

Vaughn

I moderate at a forum that deals with implanting RFID chips into the human body (I just help the admin deal with the conspiracy nutjobs and the religious fanatics). I'm not an expert by any measure, but there are a lot of people there that are very knowledgeable in the field of RFID security. If you're interested in discussing encryption in RFID and other pertinent issues, you should head over to http://tagged.kaos.gen.nz/ and take a look at the FAQ, then feel free to post any unanswered questions.

(I'm not trying to steal forum members... just wanted to mention that there is a community focused solely on that hobby)

Ooh! I like that one!

How about a DS10A hooked to your shifter in the car. When placed in park, the magnets make contact and sends a normal to your HA system, when taken out of drive, it knows you are leaving and the alarm is then in ALERT mode.

Hi Guys

I met up with Developer of the Vehicle Announcer (Neil) today and he gave me one to try out ;-) ....

http://nwe.net.au/ha/VA.html

The original device was in a jiffy box and has been working fine for 12 months ...The new version (as seen on his site) which uses the aux adaptor requires a short antenna as the transmitter chip is sandwiched between 2 pcb boards....The initial versions will be 413Mhz for Australia (Europe) but Neil intends to also made available U.S version 319Mhz ??

Have done some quick tests and it all looks good ..so will report back it a week or two on how its going....Im using the W800 Plugin witch is reporting the V.A. status to xPL ..

If contacting Neil , His job has him away from home quite a lot so he may not respond for quite a while...ATM he,s here in Melbourne so will not be able to respond to any emails....

More Soon
Frank

Hi,

Actually the VA typically starts to work a few houses away. Range can very a bit but is typically 100m.

Hi Guys

Just an update on Neils Vehicle Announcer ....

Have had it up and running for a month now and it works a treat.....

When i leave in the morning for work the signal from the V.A. gets picked up by xPL and shuts down some lighting , and also the Sunroom tv (if on) .......It also turns on the RBGLED Garden lights for 10 seconds this gives me a visual indication that its working ok...

On return from work the signal gets picked up and displays a message on my TVOSD display ...turns on the radio to zone 3 and turns on the light above the Computer.....

Im sure i,ll add other actions as time goes on....and the only issue i have had is that my cigarette lighter holder is shallow and the V.A. was slipping out , but i have wedged it slightly on an angle and that seems to have fixed it ...If i do have issues with it i will get a new cigarette lighter holder.......Below is a link to the V.A. for those who may be interested.

Frank

Is the US ver. of the VA available????

Hi Guys

Just an update on Neils Vehicle Announcer ....

Have had it up and running for a month now and it works a treat.....

When i leave in the morning for work the signal from the V.A. gets picked up by xPL and shuts down some lighting , and also the Sunroom tv (if on) .......It also turns on the RBGLED Garden lights for 10 seconds this gives me a visual indication that its working ok...

On return from work the signal gets picked up and displays a message on my TVOSD display ...turns on the radio to zone 3 and turns on the light above the Computer.....

Im sure i,ll add other actions as time goes on....and the only issue i have had is that my cigarette lighter holder is shallow and the V.A. was slipping out , but i have wedged it slightly on an angle and that seems to have fixed it ...If i do have issues with it i will get a new cigarette lighter holder.......Below is a link to the V.A. for those who may be interested.

Frank

ph0n33z:

while talking with the Sheriff's Deputy I learned that one common mode of house entry is from stealing cars. That is not what happened to me, but the way it works is:

1) Burglar finds a car parked in the long-term lot at the airport.
2) Inside car is registration with names, addresses, and usually garage door opener.
3) Burglar observes house to make sure the tenants are really gone on a long trip and then moves in and clears the place out.

So. I like the idea of having to enter a PIN to get into the house. You can do whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally I wouldn't want to be in the situation where a single stolen hardware "key" can defeat the security system. With PIN required to enter, even if someone can get my house key there is still a security layer.

Just something to keep in mind or decide it's not a concern to you.

If you are silly enough to nor remove the remote codes from the door opener then you get everything you deserve. First thing you do when a car gets stolen with either address and/or garage remote is go to a heightened sense of security, remove the remote code from the door opener so it is invalid, let the neighbours know that the car was stolen and to watch for anyone that should not be there, ensure all doors are locked etc.

If there happen to be keys in the car, then change the locks as well.

A pin number makes no difference if you take some common sense steps.

Mick

While I don't disagree with that Mick, take note of this exact scenario - the person/people left the car at airport parking. So likely they are away and by the time they find out their car has been stolen it is too late to do anything about it. The only solution to that scenario is if you have a removable remote, take it out of the car with you, or hide it someplace like in the trunk under the mat or something.

While this idea is extremely cool i too would be concerned about security. It is incredibly easy to scan for what an RFID is transmitting, and if they care enough it's not terribly difficult to crack RFID encryption. Much like wireless internet, I don't think consumer grade RFID's are really secure enough yet to trust my home and family's security with.

I'm sure we could play the what if game all day, but having a big key to your house sitting in parking lots unattended daily is not my idea of security.

Back