Component or HDMI for new construction

If you have access to the attic and basement/crawlspace, then I would HIGHLY recommend empty conduits into the attic from the 2nd floor rooms. And into the basement/crawlspace from the 1st floor rooms. Then put at least one larger 'riser' conduit between the attic and basement/crawlspace. If the house is on a slab... then its a difference story.... Or if you have no attic access....

I used 3/4" PVC conduits for the rooms and a 2" conduit for the large riser. If a room is large, consider multiple runs. Each conduit terminates in an empty box in the wall. I tried to get one conduit/box for each 'unbroken' segment of wall. For instance, our family room has two openings into other rooms. The wall between the openings should have a box/conduit..... And then additional boxes/conduits for other walls. The FR actually had three boxes/conduits when the house was built. But when I started adding cables for A/V stuff, I ended up adding two more 1-1/2" PVC conduits from the FR into the basement ceiling space for more cables.

The conduits have been great for future wiring. I even ran them into the garage and back porch areas. Downside is a few extra blank wall plates around the rooms.

The conduits were in addition to the original coax and UTP runs. I put two CAT5 and two RG59 cables into each room. Should have used RG6, but I cheap at the time. Next house will be better.

If you have access to the attic and basement/crawlspace, then I would HIGHLY recommend empty conduits into the attic from the 2nd floor rooms. And into the basement/crawlspace from the 1st floor rooms. Then put at least one larger 'riser' conduit between the attic and basement/crawlspace. If the house is on a slab... then its a difference story.... Or if you have no attic access....

I used 3/4" PVC conduits for the rooms and a 2" conduit for the large riser. If a room is large, consider multiple runs. Each conduit terminates in an empty box in the wall. I tried to get one conduit/box for each 'unbroken' segment of wall. For instance, our family room has two openings into other rooms. The wall between the openings should have a box/conduit..... And then additional boxes/conduits for other walls. The FR actually had three boxes/conduits when the house was built. But when I started adding cables for A/V stuff, I ended up adding two more 1-1/2" PVC conduits from the FR into the basement ceiling space for more cables.

The conduits have been great for future wiring. I even ran them into the garage and back porch areas. Downside is a few extra blank wall plates around the rooms.

The conduits were in addition to the original coax and UTP runs. I put two CAT5 and two RG59 cables into each room. Should have used RG6, but I cheap at the time. Next house will be better.

I am on slab and limited attic space

If you have a floorplan of the house that'd help - and/or what you want to make sure you're covered for in each room/area and any specific questions you have - that'd help us. Or have we just gone in a bit of a circle?

What's the overall goal here? To have everything centralized, or to have a local STB and access to networked media servers, or ?? It all depends on the overall solution.

Nowadays DirecTV can run using one or two DVR's in the house and a few STB's and everyone shares recording and has access to the internet over a single piece of Coax. If I want to share movies, this can be done using an AppleTV in each room with a single Ethernet connection; If I need to also connect my BluRay and Smart TV to ethernet, a simple 5-port switch at the TV shares it out.

Conversely, if I wanted to keep it clean with no equipment around the TV, I'd have a DVR, a regular receiver, an Apple TV and a Media Server on a 4x4 matrix switcher, keep all my equipment in one place, and connect back to the matrix switcher over HDMI or Cat5; needing only perhaps an additional Cat5 if it's a SmartTV that wants its own connection.

I can post a floorplan. I also plan on posting a room by room of what I see as wiring requirements.

The overall goal is to have as much distributed from a central balancer downstairs to all of the TV's. I'd rather have as much in one place as possible. I would want the capability to add equipment where needed just for that TV (ps3 etc), but would like to go towards the latter of the two scenarios you posted.

I basically plan to run 4-5 cat 5 to each TV location, as well as a coax

If you have a floorplan of the house that'd help - and/or what you want to make sure you're covered for in each room/area and any specific questions you have - that'd help us. Or have we just gone in a bit of a circle?

What's the overall goal here? To have everything centralized, or to have a local STB and access to networked media servers, or ?? It all depends on the overall solution.

Nowadays DirecTV can run using one or two DVR's in the house and a few STB's and everyone shares recording and has access to the internet over a single piece of Coax. If I want to share movies, this can be done using an AppleTV in each room with a single Ethernet connection; If I need to also connect my BluRay and Smart TV to ethernet, a simple 5-port switch at the TV shares it out.

Conversely, if I wanted to keep it clean with no equipment around the TV, I'd have a DVR, a regular receiver, an Apple TV and a Media Server on a 4x4 matrix switcher, keep all my equipment in one place, and connect back to the matrix switcher over HDMI or Cat5; needing only perhaps an additional Cat5 if it's a SmartTV that wants its own connection.

I posted my plan as it stands now in this post http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/22156-my-wiring-plan/

I plan on wiring myself. I was planning on running 3 component and 3 Cat5 to each TV location. I figure I will most likely use component for my video source (I mean how many sources do I actually use that are 1080p). If I want to use HDMI in the future can I use the cat5 for this? Not sure where to go with this. Thanks,

Jordan

Forget using HDMI cabling, use the Boxee Box, check it out

An HDMi Matrix and HDMi extenders for switching is high dollar stuff

I wanted to go the HDMI way, then decided on a Boxee Box

I plan on wiring myself. I was planning on running 3 component and 3 Cat5 to each TV location. I figure I will most likely use component for my video source (I mean how many sources do I actually use that are 1080p). If I want to use HDMI in the future can I use the cat5 for this? Not sure where to go with this. Thanks,

Jordan

HDMI has nothing to offer over component other than lack of cables. If you go the route of matrix and distribution over cat5 you can get full 1080p anywherer in the house.

I can get you started on that route for pennies on the dollar on hardware I just removed from an install. It consists of:
Autopatch 12x12 full HD (1080p) with digital audio
Distribution over 2 cat5 with HD video, digital audio, regular stereo, and IR both ways.

Let me know if you want more info.

I originally did component over cat5 but the converters stopped working.

Less parts = more reliable.

Buy high quality cables from monoprice. I ran 30' hdmi cable from my AVR to my projector. Added a hdmi in line equalizer for $10 to eliminate pixelization at higher color depth. Also from monoprice.

I'm pulling 5 wire mini-coax for component to each TV location, along with 3 CAT6 and two regular RG6 coax cables.  I'm way too annoyed with the HDMI distribution hassles to put up with it.  I'll be able to run HDBaseT, or proprietary two-cable CAT5 for HDMI distribution and still have a line for ethernet.  Might run another pair of CAT5 for IR and anything else.  Those will run in-wall, there will also be an empty 1" smurf-tube conduit for future changes.  I've learned it's a helluva lot cheaper to put all that in there while the walls are open rather than fishing it later...

"Buy high quality cables from monoprice." Thats kinda funny.

Component baluns are inexpensive. Comparing running five cables to one cat 5 and a pair of baluns. No brainer there.

We've installed several HDMI matrix/distribution systems with zero problems. Component is almost dead and really doesnt make sense to implement now. Does it work? Yes. Your call. There are cheap HDMI to component converters for the zillion items now that dont have component out. Installing component now is like installing 8 track after cassettes had been out for years. BUT, component works.

I never understood the need for more than on coax to a TV. Rarely is one used let alone two. Seems like a waste to me.

We run one shielded cat5 or 6 (for HD balun distribution)
1 cat for IR/Control
1 cat for IP
1  RG6QS for OTA or if customer ends up wanting to put cable/sat box at the tv location
1 cat spare for future (likely first 4k baluns will require 2 cat when it comes out, just a guess)

Five wires to each TV location and it gives room for growth and changes. Tubing, of course!

Never rely on wireless to be the future. Whenever a choice between wired and wireless, always go wired.

We never run HDMI cables over four meters. HDMI sucks. Long cables suck even more. Use baluns. Hdbaset works. Pretty solid. We may likely see that as the near future as manufacturers build them directly into their receivers, tv's, etc. Promising. Unfortunately, HDMI is not on its last leg as much as we hate it with a passion.

Ranger Digital,

Monoprice may not offer high quality but they at least offer good quality.  Having looked and looked for quality cable at a decent price, it is very hard to find.  First, where are there enough reviews to figure out what is a good cable.  Second, based on recommendation, it is hard to find or purchase the so called good cable unless you are a dealer...or you want to pay through the nose.  For me, Monoprice is across the country so shipping is a little more expensive.  But I still haven't found a good source for cable except to go to my local electronics store, which is expensive unless you are a dealer.  So for me and many others, Monoprice is at least a known quantity with decent cable.  If you have options and recommendations for non-dealers, I'm all ears. :)

And thanks for letting us know what you run as I will need to run some cables to my primary living room TV from my new wiring closet.

David

Electric supply houses sell many items at wholesale prices, to electricians and homeowners.  My local shop doesn't distinguish between pros and homeowners, as both are installers.

Keep in mind that the cheapest cables are cheap because they're made in China, where workers are paid a fraction of US workers, and a totalitarian regime still makes people disappear if they speak their minds.

I wonder how the benefits compare, U.S. vs Chinese workers.  Are U.S. manufacturing workers overpaid?  What about the engineers who design the products?

There isn't really a right or wrong answer here, just some things to think about.

I'd rather support US obviously but how do I know if I'm paying double for a good cable or double because my electric supply house is gouging me. I find my local supply house very expensive for the stuff I've bought over the years. So part of my issue is what are some good name brands of cable, CAT 6, for instance?

And I'd rather pay for Chinese wire of a known quality from Monoprice than pay double for Chinese wire at the big box stores. If I was paying double for American made cable at my electric supply house then I'd be interested. But if the Chinese Monoprice is good enough for my needs, it starts to get hard to justify 3 times the cost for American made wire, especially when you can't find enough reviews to say whether it is mediocre Amercian wire or really good American wire.

David

Back