Component Video Distribution: Audio Authority 9870

Mike

Anyone have experience with this?:

[post="0"]https://www.audioauthority.com/window.php?p=showFoto&adresFoto=files/products/9870family100[1].jpg&tytylStrony=1x2 Cat 5 HDTV Signal Distribution System - Model 9870: 9870 Family[/post]

They don't make it easy to link to their site. I was originally going to run 5 sets of coax retrofit upstairs, but later was leaning towards baluns. This seems to be the best of both (granted a little more expensive) and it has the ability to carry IR as well.

BSR Edit: Fixed Link

Another option for you Mike... use a PC (running Sage, etc) and then install extenders at your TVs. The extenders all run off Cat 5 wiring (using IP addresses as any normal PC). I considered running coax everywhere, and the alternative looked much better. Plus this lets you centralize your DVDs, all your PVR functions - and any TV can watch anything at any time.

Takes a little time to set up (I'm only a few weeks into my install) but has great results.

Anyone have experience with this?:

[post="0"]https://www.audioauthority.com/window.php?p=showFoto&adresFoto=files/products/9870family100[1].jpg&tytylStrony=1x2 Cat 5 HDTV Signal Distribution System - Model 9870: 9870 Family[/post]

They don't make it easy to link to their site. I was originally going to run 5 sets of coax retrofit upstairs, but later was leaning towards baluns. This seems to be the best of both (granted a little more expensive) and it has the ability to carry IR as well.

BSR Edit: Fixed Link

I used a pair at a clients home and it worked for a few weeks, then it stopped working. We replaced it with another pair and could not get that to work. Sometimes the television would get a picture, most of the times it would not.

Many, many hours were put into troubleshooting, including replacing cat5, re-terminating the ends, changing video resolutions but I just could not get them to work. So we ended up pulling RGB cable(which we should have done in the first place) and the client said the picture looks much better now than it did when the 9870's did work.

Another option for you Mike... use a PC (running Sage, etc) and then install extenders at your TVs. The extenders all run off Cat 5 wiring (using IP addresses as any normal PC). I considered running coax everywhere, and the alternative looked much better. Plus this lets you centralize your DVDs, all your PVR functions - and any TV can watch anything at any time.

Takes a little time to set up (I'm only a few weeks into my install) but has great results.

Thanks, but I am there already. I am using Sage, with extenders and I am very happy with it. I also have two DVD Jukeboxes as well. I am modulating it over coax with a Xantech 4 zone IR system, but as I upgrade/add TV's I would like them to be driven off component for the DVD's and any other equipment I put in the basement. That is my intent at least. I wish they would do one that output component/hdmi/etc but I am not holding my breath.

I used a pair at a clients home and it worked for a few weeks, then it stopped working. We replaced it with another pair and could not get that to work. Sometimes the television would get a picture, most of the times it would not.

Many, many hours were put into troubleshooting, including replacing cat5, re-terminating the ends, changing video resolutions but I just could not get them to work. So we ended up pulling RGB cable(which we should have done in the first place) and the client said the picture looks much better now than it did when the 9870's did work.

Thank you. Sounds like I just saved a lot of time and some money with that question. I am using multiple coax for one location but it was easy to run. I'm dreading getting the cables for that run (multiple turns, up stairs). I have to close some other open projects but sounds like I should work on running cable once I get those closed.

I was wondering if baluns would be a better solution, which led me back to this. Sounds like I had the right idea originally, it just wont be easy.

Am I understanding this right? Stick to running rg6 and forego the baluns? Running multiple coax is no big deal and baluns are outrageously expensive.

Am I understanding this right? Stick to running rg6 and forego the baluns? Running multiple coax is no big deal and baluns are outrageously expensive.

Ranger,

I think Captain was referring more to the AA product than baluns in general...the 9870 is a little more than a balun also. It does component, L+R audio, digital coax, and IR off 2 cat5s. If it's a difficult run and you already have the cat5 there, this could be a good solution. However, I don't think anyone would argue if you can run the coax, either in new construction or easily in retrofit situations, then that is the way to go.

--Jamie

I've been using MuxLab (www.muxlab.com) component (#500050) and s-video (#500016) baluns for years with excellent results over ~75' runs of Cat5e cable. I can't see a difference in quality between the baluns @ 75' and 6' component or s-video cables in my application on a 55" LCD RPTV. I opted for baluns instead of two/three coax runs primarily due to ease of termination at a very densely populated quickport wall plate and patch panel. These baluns are an entirely passive solution (e.g., no hub or power required). The #500050 supports up to 1080p video (I've used up to 1080i) and coax digital audio over a single Cat5 or better cable.

Worthington Distribution sells the baluns cheaper than I have found anywhere else (#500050: $56.21 ea; #500016: $19.67 ea).

Hope this helps,
-Bill

I have seen those. Thank you.

I'm going to take another look at how hard it would be to run the coax. Sounds like the component baluns from muxlab are a good alternative.

I've been giving a lot of thought about how to get the wiring in there.

Back