Computer Geeks 200 GB Hard Disk Server

BraveSirRobbin

Computer Geeks has THIS IO Gear 200 GB Hard Drive Storage Server for $147 shipped (Enter "GEEKBOSS" for saver code to get this deal).

This includes a 200 GB Maxtor 8mb 7200 RPM drive.

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking about getting this for home backup use. Hopefully I'll be able to "map" a drive so I can use my Acronis automated backup methodology.

What do the CocoonTech network experts think of this product?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Just add any 3.5" IDE hard drive (up to 200GB) to build a complete and secure network!
Hard drive NOT included
3.5-inch IDE hard drive up to 200GB

I am curious about it myself. I assume it is fanless & silent?

EDIT: Hmmm, the price is wrong too, but the link still works. I bet BSR was looking at something that is now gone that DID include the drive? Strange.

WayneW said:
BraveSirRobbin said:
Just add any 3.5" IDE hard drive (up to 200GB) to build a complete and secure network!
Hard drive NOT included
3.5-inch IDE hard drive up to 200GB

I am curious about it myself. I assume it is fanless & silent?

EDIT: Hmmm, the price is wrong too, but the link still works. I bet BSR was looking at something that is now gone that DID include the drive? Strange.

Computer Geeks has THIS IO Gear 200 GB Hard Drive Storage Server for $147 shipped (Enter "GEEKBOSS" for saver code to get this deal).

OY! Add the item to the cart. Then enter the savings code for the 200 GB offer. ;)

I got that email as well with the same offer details BSR posted, it definitely is valid.

That is awful strange for a sales code to change the price, add an item to your cart, go against the description that you were looking at and then not add up to what was advertised. They advertised $147, but my cart changed from $84.50 to $139.49. I won't go so far as calling it deceptive, but it sure is confusing. Is the hard drive pre-installed or is this a kit?

The drive goes for about $82, so for around $57 for an enclosure to access it seems rather reasonable as typically these goes for much more. Granted it seems it will hold only one drive, but seems like a reasonable package.

I would not use it as a router (I don't think I have heard anything on IOGear having good routers or even hearing them in this space at all recently) like they mention but adding it to an existing network seems to make sense.

No direct experience with this of course.

BSR, I found this:

- Supports Common Internet File System (CIFS), Apple (AFP), NFS

You *SHOULD* be able to map a drive from your machine to the CIFS share.

Well I order one as well. I want something that is not in a PC to write my backups to. Thanks for the heads up.

Rupp said:
Well I order one as well. I want something that is not in a PC to write my backups to. Thanks for the heads up.
But buying something with a router and other misc. features does not mak a lot of sense for just making backups. Geeks also sells UBS2, FireWire and NAS storage devices.

Geeks is also like X10 and has amazing sales on half there items, everyday... so I would not rush and check out some of the other GreenLight products.

Vaughn

ver0776 said:
Rupp said:
But buying something with a router and other misc. features does not mak a lot of sense for just making backups. Geeks also sells UBS2, FireWire and NAS storage devices.

Geeks is also like X10 and has amazing sales on half there items, everyday... so I would not rush and check out some of the other GreenLight products.

Vaughn
To late ;)

No, not a bad deal at all. I looked at it before I saw it here even. (I shop Geeks like every other day). I just like to keep my configuration as simple as possible. Let us know how you like it.

Vaughn

Back