Computer Problems

DrunkenLizard

So I've been tinkering with this pc for a while now trying to get it back up and running, thought I'd ask the community for some advice. Computer powers on, I can hear the hard drives spinning all the fans are working (cpu, case, psu, and gpu) But there is no video signal detected, no sound from the case speaker, sound card. Doesn't show up when I scan the network. Tried swapping out the gpu for another pci-e gpu and a pci one with no luck. Have disconnected and reconnected everything but the cpu (out of arctic silver)

System

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail
EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

*edit* no sign of bulging or blown caps

First, I assume that you have no hardware changes/additions. I would lean toward the motherboard being no bueno or the power supply. Does the power light come on the motherboard? Do you have a power supply tester to check the main power connector? I am thinking MB though since you are not POSTing at all. ASUS makes good MBs (or used to as of a few years ago), so it would be surprising if it is the MB and newer.

You can buy a motherboard diagnostic board pretty cheap from DealExtreme.com. It will read the diagnostic code if your BIOS is a well known BIOS, i.e. Phoenix, Award, if your BIOS is reporting an error code.

I forgot to add one thing. Have you checked your power connection to the CPU? Is it seated? Test with a power supply tester? The computer generally will not boot/POST if there is no power to the CPU. You will generally see the symptoms described when there is no CPU power.

I've seen short circuits cause this behavior. I would start with unplugging all the peripherals: hard drive, cd-rom, dvd, etc., both power and data cables Remove any PCI cards except for video. Also, make sure the memory is firmly seated.

Thanks,

TX, yeah the motherboard power led is lit, and no hardware changes since an optical drive I added back in December. No diagnostic tools unfortunately, always thought about picking some up. Probably take a week or two before I see anything from dealextreme but I've always liked there prices lol. cpu power connector was seated properly, thermal compound should be here today so I'll try popping the cpu and reseating it.

Iq, I tried disconnecting everything last night and went through the ram one stick at a time with no change.

This is my third attempt at answering this thread because of a BSOD.

I see the PC was working at one time and now its not. The most common issue that I have seen has been typically a bad PS. Maybe two out of 20 MB's have gone out and that has been due to lightning and aa bad capacitor on the MB.

I see you have already swapped out the video card. I would try swapping out the PS as its easier than the MB. Reset your BIOS and remove HD's and CD drives and see if you get a BIOS boot screen.

Before you remove your MB you can also use the ASUS EZ Bios loader without watching the video.

I have been having BSOD problems with my new ASUS MB built PC. I believe its related to the PCI-E video card.

Just now when using SisSandra to look at my video card specifications I BSOD's the computer about 3 times.

My ASUS based specs are:

MB - ASUS P5KPL-CM - cheap
CPU - Intel Dual-Core E5300
Memory - 4 Gigs -
Video - Internal - shut off
Video 2 - PCI-E NVidea GeForce 9400GT 1 Gig - cheap dual head card

Checked the mobo for blown or bulging caps. I don't have another power supply that'll work on hand (without a complete teardown of my file server) I'll order one this afternoon, should have a spare one on hand anyways. Just wish that there was someplace local I could pick one up.

There is no Staples or Best Buy near you? I am still thinking the power supply is the culprit here, there there is only one way to find out.

Just wish that there was someplace local I could pick one up.
gotta move out of the sticks :(

Lol not a bad idea, know anyone who wants to buy a house in the sticks?

E, nah BB is about 75 miles away, and staples is around 120 mile drive. Just ordered a 700watt from Newegg, if the problem turns out to be the mobo I'll probably swap that for something comprable that'll handle sli and double up on the gpu

Not sure what brand you ordered, but I have been stuck on the Corsair PSUs for the past 2-3 years. I love their memory, along with Crucial, and their PSUs are wonderful. I know some people like Antecs on here, but I am on my third warranty replacement for the same PSU.

I thought I might add that I have had one PSU test fine on the voltage in the past and turned out to be no bueno. All the other bad PSUs I have tested did read bad or no voltage.

Also, might look for bulging or ruptured capacitors on the MB.

E, nah BB is about 75 miles away, and staples is around 120 mile drive. Just ordered a 700watt from Newegg, if the problem turns out to be the mobo I'll probably swap that for something comprable that'll handle sli and double up on the gpu

I am less than a mile from BB and a local computer parts store, but still shop from newegg.com / amazon.com. You can't beat both their prices and service.

Not sure what brand you ordered, but I have been stuck on the Corsair PSUs for the past 2-3 years. I love their memory, along with Crucial, and their PSUs are wonderful. I know some people like Antecs on here, but I am on my third warranty replacement for the same PSU.

I thought I might add that I have had one PSU test fine on the voltage in the past and turned out to be no bueno. All the other bad PSUs I have tested did read bad or no voltage.

Also, might look for bulging or ruptured capacitors on the MB.

Yeah I had an ocz in there should have gone with a corsair. I just ordered a coolmax http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817159089

It was cheap and I didn't feel like shelling out for a nice psu if the original turns out to be ok.
Caps look good on the mobo, couple by the cpu I couldn't see that well because of the cooler but they looked alright from what I could see. They'll get a better examination to night when I pop off the cpu cooler.

Any one have any advice on what to use as a test stand for working on the mobo outside of the case? might have some standoffs I'll mount on a scrap of wood or plexi if I have any left in the garage

For a while back I had stayed away from Asus MB's and had started to use Gigabyte MB's but the last few that I have purchased have worked out well for me.

Your problem got me to totally remove my NVidea drivers and start all over again.

Historically and faster I have not measured the PS voltages, just removed or swapped out PS. I read a mention of minimum PS watts to be able to use new PCI-E video cards was like maybe 450Watts.

Playing around with a mini-pc the other day with a 160Watt PS I put in one pci video card (security video card with 8 chips) and couldn't get it to boot at all. This was with nothing else but a CF drive in it.

I would also say. Look for bad caps. Swollen; leaking or fuzzy stuff around the bottoms.
I have seen to many boards with the swollen cap syndrome.
There is even a web forum dedicated to swollen caps in any device and how to fix them.

If you want to try the non-obvious, and your monitor is hooked up to your video card via DVI, then swap it to a normal analog VGA cable and see what happens. I know it sounds stupid....and to me it still IS stupid.

Back