Computer Problems

"Any one have any advice on what to use as a test stand for working on the mobo outside of the case? might have some standoffs I'll mount on a scrap of wood or plexi if I have any left in the garage"

I've taken the mb box foam or mb box or a piece of carboard a little bit bigger than the MB and put it on the computer case with it open being very careful not to short anything out.

On my setup after totally deleting the NVidea drivers and re-installing them and still seeing the BSOD I was able to catch the DLL causing it. It was a circa Windows 2000 PCAnywhere video driver which was causing it. I removed PCAnywhere.

Congrats petec, has that taken care of all the issues you were having?

Yes - it was the "awvid5.dll" file.

You can "make" a newer style PS splicing the CPU PS (4 pin ATX +12 volt power) plug into the wires of an older PS. I have done that with Mini ATX PS.

This would server as a temporary test PS until you got a new one. Its only 12VDC

12v4pin.jpg

So I've been tinkering with this pc for a while now trying to get it back up and running, thought I'd ask the community for some advice. Computer powers on, I can hear the hard drives spinning all the fans are working (cpu, case, psu, and gpu) But there is no video signal detected, no sound from the case speaker, sound card. Doesn't show up when I scan the network. Tried swapping out the gpu for another pci-e gpu and a pci one with no luck. Have disconnected and reconnected everything but the cpu (out of arctic silver)

Shortly after moving this past April, My office machine displayed the exact same symptoms you are describing. Now I’ve been building my own PC’s for awhile now, and have never had no post beeps, unless there was no speaker. So instant panic was my initial response...lol I started running through many of the things you have checked, and to make a long story short, my CMOS jumper had fallen off and was laying in the bottom of the case. I was fortunate to have found it rather quickly, but it may be worth it to check the layout on your board and confirm all the jumpers.

New power supply came in today, still no post. Tried resetting the CMOS as well with no change. Guess it's time to order a new mob0.

*Debating whether or not to just go ahead and get an i7 mobo, new processor, and ram or to just pick up something cheap to hold me over. If the problem is the mobo lol.*

Thought for sure it would have been the PS. A couple of other thing you can check is a bad CPU fan and a dead CMOS battery. I remember this happened once to me. It was a 3-wire fan and I noticed that most HW stores now carry CMOS type button batteries.

When I purchased this last ASUS MB and because I update my home office pc every other year found a combo deal (CPU-Memory-MB) for around $200. (wanted a new 1TB drive, dual head video card and a couple of wide screen LCDs but these were not really needed). I put everything in the old case.

Wow,
today this just happened to my computer!
ASUS P5E VM DO, 2GB RAM, Nvidia videocard.
No POSTing, no video, no audio, no nothing. Last time it was powered on was a week ago and this motherboard has a little over a year!
I've fought ASUS for this motherboard already as it kept malfunctioning until they told me that the PSU was the problem.
Bought a new PSU, and that solved my "hanging" problem.
But now, no POSTing, no Sound, no video, nothing. Fans work just fine.
No clue if my videocard works but i plugged the monitor directly to the onboard video and nothing. I think it's the motherboard since i just googled it and the P5X (X as in any letter in there) series are common to this issue.

I have a new (about 3-5 months or so) ASUS P5KPL-CM MB that I am abusing somewhat looking at my status temperatures. I typically leave my office computer on 24/7.

I liked the footprint to my older HP case (actually now the third MB in this case - old ones did not fail though) so I basically gutted it on my last update saving only the chassis.

A few years back (10 plus) though I wasn't happy with the QA from ASUS and switched to Gigabyte/Intel MB's for "most" of the computers that I was building. In the 2000's switched to using cheap generic MB's and about the only thing that ever failed on these were the power supplies.

Back