Convert Coax to Composite?

Sendero

I helped my girlfriend buy a new TV. She has some older equipment so her DVD player uses composite video. Her VCR only has a F connecter/coax output. And she has her digital antenna plugged in to the antenna input on the new TV. The problem is that I don't know how to hook up both the VCR and the Antenna. Is there some device that will allow me to convert from a coax video signal in to a L/R/Video signal?

I helped my girlfriend buy a new TV. She has some older equipment so her DVD player uses composite video. Her VCR only has a F connecter/coax output. And she has her digital antenna plugged in to the antenna input on the new TV. The problem is that I don't know how to hook up both the VCR and the Antenna. Is there some device that will allow me to convert from a coax video signal in to a L/R/Video signal?
That's pretty old-school/low-def, but the way of doing it about 10 years ago was to plug the antenna into the antenna-in on the VCR, then from the out of the VCR into the TV. When the VCR is powered off, it should send the antenna to the TV. When the VCR is on but not playing, you can generally choose sources from the antenna or RCA-In if it has that. For starters though, have the VCR off, as that should pass antenna through.

Advantage - this is super simple... when you want to watch a VHS, no TV settings are changed really other than changing channels - when you want to watch VHS, change to channel 2, 3, or 4 (whichever works, it'll only be one) and hit play - you'll see the tape playing and it'll cut off the antenna channels.

That's pretty old-school/low-def, but the way of doing it about 10 years ago was to plug the antenna into the antenna-in on the VCR, then from the out of the VCR into the TV. When the VCR is powered off, it should send the antenna to the TV. When the VCR is on but not playing, you can generally choose sources from the antenna or RCA-In if it has that. For starters though, have the VCR off, as that should pass antenna through.

Advantage - this is super simple... when you want to watch a VHS, no TV settings are changed really other than changing channels - when you want to watch VHS, change to channel 2, 3, or 4 (whichever works, it'll only be one) and hit play - you'll see the tape playing and it'll cut off the antenna channels.

Sounds like just what she wants. i wasn't sure if the 'digital' signal would pass through the VCR but will try it out.

Personally, it seems odd for her to have a nice new LCD high-def TV and be watching an old-time VCR on it. She won't let me give her my unused JVC S-Video VCR so that she can use the S-video connectors. Oh well, hopefully your suggestion works. At least until I can convince her to upgrade ;)

Shouldn't take long before she realizes just how bad LCD makes VHS look. Or, if/when you move in together, just "forget" to hook it up. I "lost" mine in the last move.

It's all set. Convinced her to take my VCR and a Harmony remote. Cost me a few things at Victoria's secret but oh well. At least now I have a good VCR at her place :)

Back