Cooper Aspire RF ad in CEPro

Man, this thread really took a strange "turn" (yes pun intended).

To continue the off topic conversation, bedrooms in our area must now have "arc flash" circuit breaker installed (my house has them). Basically the entire bedroom (lighting included) must be wired to an arc flash circuit breaker which will detect a "flash" (arc that is produced say if you plug an appliance in very slowly) and trip the breaker. The breaker is rather large and requires a neutral wire to it (must be some circuitry inside the breaker that requires active power I'm guessing).

To continue the off topic conversation, bedrooms in our area must now have "arc flash" circuit breaker installed .....The breaker is rather large and requires a neutral wire to it (must be some circuitry inside the breaker that requires active power I'm guessing).
They look and instal very similar to GFCI's which are required in wet areas. Instead of detecting the "ground fault", they detect an "arc flash" which is basically electricity arcing(jumping) between neutral and hot via the air. This arc is very hot and can ignite fabrics and wood.

I plan on installing them in my whole house, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. :lol: Maybe I need to make time to do so.

I think it's a good idea in the bedrooms. Not sure if I would do it for say, appliance type loads (might want to check on that).

Getting this thread back on topic, I noticed today that Homeseer has now listed the Cooper RF products on their site. Says "available this week". i'm thinking of ordering some to try out. Figure they are worth the extra over Vizia RF and HomePro? Right now I've only got a basic z-wace starter kit (Intermatic desktop controller & 2 lamp modules), but pretty much ready to make the leap ;)

-GT

i have been trying to get a hold of the line since they came out about 4 days ago. they are only released in 14 states so far but i can't find any distributor who has it yet. emailed homeseer today and this was their response 'Yes, we are carrying the Cooper line and currently have a large initial stock order in with them. We should have the order in any day now.' so hopefully it will be up on their website soon.

i saw them in person at an expo and aesthically they look great but they weren't powered up. if anyone has tried these out maybe they could post their opinions.

i have been trying to get a hold of the line since they came out about 4 days ago. they are only released in 14 states so far but i can't find any distributor who has it yet. emailed homeseer today and this was their response 'Yes, we are carrying the Cooper line and currently have a large initial stock order in with them. We should have the order in any day now.' so hopefully it will be up on their website soon.

i saw them in person at an expo and aesthically they look great but they weren't powered up. if anyone has tried these out maybe they could post their opinions.
They are on the web site and taking orders. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Dimming-Wa...itches-C64.aspx

I think AO will have them shortly as will HST. Not sure I like the toggle approach of the Vizia switches (press the buttom of the paddle only). Cooper is also toggle but has 2 microswitches so you can press the top of the paddle for on and the bottom for off for a more intuitive feel. Not sure what it is with Z-Wave manufacturers and toggle action switches rather than true rocker switches?

The Cooper stuff seems nice, my concern with it is there is no RS232 box.

I think with the ViziaRF stuff you have to use Vizia's RS232 connection to really get all the benefits of the two way linking and so forth.

My concern with the Cooper stuff is that with so many different Zwave controllers you'd get inconsistent results. Maybe this isn't an issue, I'm not sure.

Our first shipment will arrive tomorrow (Cooper assured us!). We don't have *all* the products listed on our site yet but will soon. If you click the 'By Manufacturer' link in our online store and drill into Cooper, you'll see what we have so far. Rich did a little mini-review of the products on our message board and the Cooper 600 watt dimmer and 15 amp relay have been included in our wall switch comparison matrix.

when do you think you will have the 1000w and scene controller in stock?

Our first shipment will arrive tomorrow (Cooper assured us!). We don't have *all* the products listed on our site yet but will soon. If you click the 'By Manufacturer' link in our online store and drill into Cooper, you'll see what we have so far. Rich did a little mini-review of the products on our message board and the Cooper 600 watt dimmer and 15 amp relay have been included in our wall switch comparison matrix.

Not sure what it is with Z-Wave manufacturers and toggle action switches rather than true rocker switches?

I personally prefer the "return to neutral". When you have three way switches (esp in multi-gang boxes) up and down are meaningless on their own. Especially with kids who forget which switch is which and hit all two/three/four of them turning on loads they didn't want. This doesn't solve the forgetful problem (though the indicator lights help spot it and Elk's rules engine can also assist there). But from astetics, i don't like looking at a mix of up / down switches and i'm pretty sure that what the marketing people figured too.

I do think the feel on vizia line could have been less "clicky" though...

I personally prefer the "return to neutral". When you have three way switches (esp in multi-gang boxes) up and down are meaningless on their own. Especially with kids who forget which switch is which and hit all two/three/four of them turning on loads they didn't want. This doesn't solve the forgetful problem (though the indicator lights help spot it and Elk's rules engine can also assist there). But from astetics, i don't like looking at a mix of up / down switches and i'm pretty sure that what the marketing people figured too.

I agree that "return to neutral" is great, with Insteon and the UPB switches I've seen up is still a true on, and down is still a true off. They are still true rocker switches, they just return to neutral for a consistent look.

Leviton says they designed their's with a single bottom toggle to look consistent as you suggest, but that doesn't make sense to me because Insteon and UPB switches look consistent too. The Levitons don't just look consistent - they look like they're all on.

The Coopers seem like they might be better, but imagine the confusion when a guest is trying to figure out what a bank of swtiches does in the kitchen. They go and press what they think is the switch to turn the kitchen table off. The press the bottom part of the rocker, but instead they hit the kitchen recessed switch - so the recessed lights go on! Not very intuitive to me.

Back