couldn't think of a solution for the missing link

v1rtu0s1ty

ok, I have autopatch that can route digital audio and video. In my master bedroom, I will have a dedicated receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. I will have a connection then to my receiver's digital coax in from the autopatch device.

However, in my loft or in my den, I don't need to have an extravagant setup. I just need 2 speakers with a volume control/keypad. That means, I will have to run 16/4 continuously from the headend to the LOFT and DEN. I will also run CAT5 cable from headend to LOFT and DEN. I'm doing this so I can listen to music.

Now, let's use Comcast digital set top box which have component out for video, a digital out(coax or toslink) for audio and an analog out for audio(RCA) so I can explain my confusion. For the video feed to all the rooms(mbrm, loft,den,fam), it will be all component(YPbPr). So no issues with the video. Family room and master bedroom will not have any issue since I have a digital coax for audio connected to the receiver. However, in loft and den, how do I take advantage of the speakers when watching from Comcast set top box via analog?

Thanks!

kinda lost there, but I *think* you have something similar to my setup - i have 5.1 in the FamRm with a receiver. It's got a digital-in line for TV/DVD hooked up to the Satellite input. It's also got analog XM hooked up to the CD input.

When I want to listen to XM in the FamRm, I press the "XM" button, which turns on the receiver, sets the input source to CD, sets the volume to -30 [XM is much louder than other input areas, so I gotta crank it down to start off with].

Is that what you mean?

IVB said:
kinda lost there, but I *think* you have something similar to my setup - i have 5.1 in the FamRm with a receiver. It's got a digital-in line for TV/DVD hooked up to the Satellite input. It's also got analog XM hooked up to the CD input.

When I want to listen to XM in the FamRm, I press the "XM" button, which turns on the receiver, sets the input source to CD, sets the volume to -30 [XM is much louder than other input areas, so I gotta crank it down to start off with].

Is that what you mean?
I know what to do in a room with a receiver. It's easy since I will be using digital out from autopatch to receiver digital coax in.

My confusion was on the room that doesn't have any receiver, like in the LOFT and DEN. I would still like to watch at the loft or den and have the analog audio sent to the 2 in-wall speakers that is connected to the headend via 16/4.

If I read this right, it sounds like you need to have a regular stereo audio out that works similar to the 5.1 out. Or at least works at the same time, in parallel to the 5.1. Does your amp/receiver have that available?

I dont know if they make them or what the cost may be but youd need a digital to speaker level audio converter... but I beleive what you will have to use is some type of inexpensive received with a digital in and speaker level outs(at the head end to supply audio to both rooms)...

mustangcoupe said:
I dont know if they make them or what the cost may be but youd need a digital to speaker level audio converter... but I beleive what you will have to use is some type of inexpensive received with a digital in and speaker level outs(at the head end to supply audio to both rooms)...
That means, it's kinda like a Russound CAV6.6 solution.

I dont know much about distrubited audio but I have an idea of what you are lookig for.... The Russsound is looking for line level audio not digital audio inputs so maybe I am just confusing your terminalogy.... does the autopatch support the analog audio (RCAs) in your above example with the comcast box? or are you using the tos link or coax?

If you are truely talking line level analog then maybe the abuss from Russsound will do what you are looking for. Anyone else know? Maybe give their tech line a call

its a smaller system with a lower price point if you are only looking for those two rooms

Back