CQC Pricing Thread

Can CQC today tell me what movies are playing in my local cinema?

Technically it can and when it does their won't be a fee for the plugin when it is made.

Ripper,
agree to disagree, on all points. Done.

Fine , I consider you nothing more than a talking head in the home automation community and not someone I would trust for reliable info let alone provide a reliable software to control my home.

Within the professional market, there really isn't a lot of interest in a multi-automation product solution unless it cannot be avoided. There are already more variables in most cases than would be desirable, not to mention greater cost. There's a lot of 'slipperiness' wrt to cost claims because when price is an issue, the need for another product is downplayed. But when more functionality is an issue, the ability to use another product is played up without the downside of increased cost and complexity.

Ripper,

I can't comment on anything else you have said except for the fact that it is August 2006 not 2007.

Eric

Ripper,
Yes, it is obvious that "technically" it could be done. Doesn't exist today in CQC. And if Dean spent his hard earned time and money to build it, he should be paid for it.

Dean,
I agree with you in principal that the Pro market (or DIY market) doesn't add things that don't add value. But, we have MANY dealers that use BOTH Homeseer AND Cinemar products in their installs very succesfully. They create a huge differentiating factor compared to closed proprietary systems with this capability. At a drastically reduced price. With little support issues when implemented well.

If you are really in the pro market, you will have realized by now that the software is chump change in the pricing of the pro market. Our dealers are saying we should dramatically increase the price of the software. Higher price is higher dealer profit. But, dealers have told us that your pricing model is higher for a dealer than a consumer, so this apparantly doesn't apply to you.

I was shocked the first time I tried a beta from CQC...... It was almost bug free and stable! I think bill Gates could learn a thing or two on product stability and bug free releases from CQC. This is the way programs should be released and this is the way they should be supported. I hope that these features never change in CQC.
Ron

DavidL said:
I am not seeing evidence to your statement from the hundreds that have purchased MainLobby 3 (so far). What you read on the forum is a small subset.

EDIT, Ah, our good friend Mr. Ripper....
You might notice that on the Homeseer board, one MainLobby customer asked if a font was supported, and two days later a new build of MainLobby client was released with that font included. BTW, there hasn't been a request that I can remember that wasn't added with the next release.

You fell into the update cycle spoken of above.

Your posts were deleted because they were non value added to the Cinemar community and company. There have been essentially two customers that we have had to do that out of thousands. You are the first BTW.
EDITTT: Oh, BTW, we were torn to do that with you, because we saw you had the capability of being very sharing and are very talented, and quick frankly, werer were bothered that your posts turned so unproductive as your earlier ones (like your current ones of CQC) were so positive and helpful.

Regarding reliability, MainLobby 3 has had no reported incidents of reliability issues. If there are, they will be addressed, but no work today is going on with this because we are not aware of any issues today.

Most of your historic issues were regarding usage of your own graphics in MainLobby. You were so intent on arguing the issue, you never stopped to read on how easy it is to do that most of our customers do all the time. This is a non issue with 99%+ of Cinemar customers. The changes you felt were "absolutely necessary" are not even requested by almost all others, and the changes are architectural issues that might happen in a future major build update, but not in incremental updates. Sorry.

Regarding Media, you ain't seen nuthin yet. and yes, I fully expect you to say "promises, promises".

Bottom line, you jumped ship too quick, and CQC is a good alternative. Enjoy.
8 months without an update doesn't sound like Ripper jumped too early... it sounds to me like he gave ample opportunity and you failed to meet his needs.

If you are really in the pro market, you will have realized by now that the software is chump change in the pricing of the pro market. Our dealers are saying we should dramatically increase the price of the software. Higher price is higher dealer profit.

I don't think that that's remotely the case, but I'll let the professionals reply to that for the most part. Clearly in the $10K to $15K install, which are far and away the most common ones, price is very important and I find it pretty hard to imagine that you will win against simpler, hardware based products in that category if you charnge a premium price.

At the high end it's obviously less of an issue. But if you charge so much that your software plus the PC/control hardware required comes out (after installer markup) as much or more than a Crestron or AMX controller of similar functionality (relative to the requirements of the job), I find it hard to believe that most installers would use your product instead of just buying into the status quo.

Ripper99 said:
Fine , I consider you nothing more than a talking head in the home automation community and not someone I would trust
I'm offended by this comment.

I cannot see how this is making a worthwhile contribution in any way to this thread or to Cocoontech.

It looks like this thread about a pricing change has turned into an argument over features in various products and a few old sores being reopened. Could we get back on track?

Oh gosh...I had some points to say but forgot them after reading the off-topic posts. I'll try. :blink:

Dean - I wish you luck in your new marketing strategy. I worked several years for a top marketer and learned a few lessons there:
  • All is about the size of the pie (market share). The DIY market is limited by three factors: interest, technical ability and money to support their hobby. The Pro market is just limited by interest. They dont need the technical skills (the installer does it), but have the money to spend. Moreover, they are not even interested in the technology itself as we do. They want the functionalilty, and the wow factor as a bonus. This group is much bigger (because the lack of these restrictions) and have more money to spend than the DIY market. The big market share is there.
  • Price discounts is the most expensive way of growing market share. Using the same money in marketing to increase the numbers of 'impressions' (how much people learn about your product) is more cost effective. Sweepstakes, giveaways for the consumer (final user) and even helping your customer (retailer/installer) is more effective. Also, whenever there are similar competing products, any deep price reduction might trigger a price war that is not good for anybody. Luckily for you this have not happened in your sector.
  • You must define your target market clearly, and make sure that you meet their need 100%, without distractions from other markets. The DIY/Pro pricing is an example.
  • Its not about price, but about value. You can price your product higher if your and your customers agree that your are providing higher value than low price products. This works while you have your ear on earth. As soon as you stop hearing your customers your product's value equation might get unbalanced and at the time that you discover it, it might be too late.
I cant believe I wrote all this. Being a DIY, I feel like I just shot on my foot. But, well it is the thruth from the business person POV. Again, I hope you and your company good luck.

Now from the DIY point of view:
I said in another thread that this forum gravitated towards Elk and CQC <B>at this moment.</B> You recognize that this change in directions of your business might change this fact, right? Its about the value equation. Up to now, it was soooo easy to say which solutions provided the best value. Now, the answer to the same question might be the same, but it is not that obvious. For some people it might be just out of reach.

I was delaying my implementation of the PC based automation because of budget priorities (new baby, etc), but now I might have to just look in another direction. Well, for real DIYers Misterhouse might be an option. Even Pluto, or even Homeseer (you can automate a daily reboot :D ). I know I dont get the same product, but if I cant afford a Lexus I just buy a Toyota.

I still have several months before reaching that point, so the scenario might change, again. :D

mwhistle said:
Ripper99 said:
Fine , I consider you nothing more than a talking head in the home automation community and not someone I would trust
I'm offended by this comment.

I cannot see how this is making a worthwhile contribution in any way to this thread or to Cocoontech.
Sorry to hear that..however I won't sit back and let someone make comments about myself that are untrue and sarcastic without defending myself.

I'll leave it at that instead of adding fuel to the fire.

DavidL said:
BSR, It would be good (and appreciated) if you provided a bit of detail on that statement.
I am aware that you upgraded the MLServer without reading the release notes that say you also have to upgrade the client due to a new feature that was added (post launch) that required both sides to be updated. I do realize that this was a PITA for you. As an update, you are not the only one that didn't read the release notes. So, we will be adding a notice in the installer for that version that the client has to also be updated, when that is required to be a little more obvious.
David;

In order to keep this thread on track with the CQC price increase I will respond in THIS thread.

BSR

LOL... And I remember when Dean was sticking his thumb into Girder threads on a different site....LOL a $20 dollar program back then...

So, out of curiousity... if something were to happen to Dean (not to wish any ill fortune, but being realistic)... who would take over the development of CQC?

Back