Crunch time is here!

RandyKnight

Haven't been on the forum for a while since we've beein going nuts getting plans, bids, etc. for the new house. But the plans are just about done and we're lookin to break ground sometime in June. So it's high time I start making some real decisions on HA stuff (at least pre-wire). :angry:

To summarize, I plan on an ELK based system and would like to eventually incorporate all of the following in the HA system:

Security
Lighting Control
Distributed Video
Distributed Audio
InterCom
Cameras
Voice Control
Pool Equipment
Sprinklers / Irrigation
HVAC control
RFID?
Anything else I can dream up!

What major things am I missing if any? I plan to start several threads to solicit input on the above but thought this could serve as a main idea / integration thread.

So, if you were building a 5000 sf + "dream house", what besides the above would you include / plan / pre-wire for?

Let your imaginations run wild!

Backup Generator (including monitoring)
in floor heat sensors (if radiant floor heat)
water sensors in all bathrooms, mud room, etc.
Wiring for shower preheat solenoids
Touchscreens instead of keypads
Doorway motion sensors to detect presence (beyond security)
Xmas light outlets in eaves and yard
satellite dish feeds and dish heater wires (something I forgot)

RandyKnight said:
To summarize, I plan on an ELK based system and would like to eventually incorporate all of the following in the HA system:

Security
Lighting Control
Distributed Video
Distributed Audio
InterCom
Cameras
Voice Control
Pool Equipment
Sprinklers / Irrigation
HVAC control
RFID?
I suppose you are planning on using other control systems besides ELK if you want to do all of that.

Do you have an idea of how you are going to tie everything together, once the walls go up? If you have that in your head then everything else should be easy.

Oh, don't forget to automate the fireplace and drapes.

I don't see anything about telephones or computer network cabling. Please don't tell me you plan to skimp on this and just depend on wireless technologies!

upstatemike said:
I don't see anything about telephones or computer network cabling. Please don't tell me you plan to skimp on this and just depend on wireless technologies!
That's what you cal omittng the obvious. :angry:

Definitely hardwired on all of the above.

Captain Caveman said:
I suppose you are planning on using other control systems besides ELK if you want to do all of that.

Do you have an idea of how you are going to tie everything together, once the walls go up? If you have that in your head then everything else should be easy.

Oh, don't forget to automate the fireplace and drapes.
I imagine so on the other systems. Pretty new to this so consider this an "integration" thread as well. Any and all suggestions welcome. In terms of how to tie it all together, that's the tough part I'm trying to figure out. So feedback on that would be appreciated as well. Right now I have a HomeSeer 2.0 based system for just lighting control (Insteon).

Regarding fireplace and drapes. Not sure what you mean by fireplace. Automation to make sure damper is closed? It will be woodburning, not a gas with switch, etc.

I'll automate whatever window coverings I can, but most will be plantation shutters so not sure how you'd go about that. Maybe a servo that would open / close the slats? Anybody know of any packaged solutions for that?

How about wiring for a weather station?

Also might be handy to use double contacts on some windows so you can open them 6 inches for ventilation and still arm the security zone.

How about electric door locks? You could lock all your doors when you arm the security system for the night.

Other cool things that used to be common in old houses but rarely in new ones like a dumb waiter or a laundry chute.

What about a central vac system?

Having lived with aging parents I would always prewire for emergency call buttons in bathrooms and bedrooms. You may not need them right away but put the wiring in place so they can be added in the future.

Does your prewire plan include distributed IR?

Don't forget to check out the Structured Wiring How-To, which has a lot of this covered (and is probably a good source for ideas).

electron said:
Don't forget to check out the Structured Wiring How-To, which has a lot of this covered (and is probably a good source for ideas).
Yeah I've got that as well as the Wiring 101/102/103 douments from CocoonTech. Which are good ... but led me to realize I need to figure out the end result / all the systems I want, then work backwards from there.

Back