Custom video wall plates... am I crazy?

cgpsp

OK, I'm in the framing stages on my new custom home, and I'm thinking about the possibility of building custom video screens in several wall plates. The use would be for video surveillance and a few home control items. By having a video screen and some buttons in a wall plate, the user could cycle through video cameras, as well as access HA functions on a PC screen. I'm throwing out my thoughts here and you can tell me if this is crazy or not.

The idea is to place a 2.5" LCD screen into a wall plate. Here is an example screen at qualitymobilevideo . com/lcd25l.aspx. I would like to also place maybe 3 to 6 buttons under the screen. I would wire composite video to each screen to maybe a composite video matrix switch that can be controlled by a PC (RS232). The buttons would have to send some type of signal to a PC (maybe Arduino?) to tell it which button is pushed, and the computer can then switch video signals to the screen.

Scenario 1:
The doorbell rings. The HA computer turns on the video screens and switches the video to the front door camera. Button 1 initiates a voice conversation with the visitor. Button 2 unlocks the door. Button 3 maybe turns on the light at the front door. So, pressing button 2 would obviously have to work with some door actuator, like the new Kwikset ones to unlock the door.

Scenario 2:
The user wants to change the currently playing music in the whole house system (which is audio out from the PC amplified throughout the house). The user presses button 1 and the LCD turns on. The screen shows the currently playing song/artist/album info, along with details about which buttons do what. The user presses button 2 to go back to the beginning of the song. Button 3 goes to the next song. If there are more buttons, button 4 goes up a level, etc. In this case, the PC should be able to have a composite output out to the video matrix, and switch the video to the PC screen and maybe perform other functions.

I'm not thinking about controlling much more that video surveillance, basic music functions, and maybe HVAC controls. Everything else seems like it'd be better to control from a tablet (iPad or similar), so the interface can be richer.

I think I could possibly handle most of the programming part of it, just the electronic part seems a little tough to figure out, especially when it comes to the buttons. If anyone can comment on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Everyone has their own opinion on the ultimate display, but I would consider a typical touch screen that controls a home automation computer with something like WebCamXP to view the cameras. Look at HomeSeer with HSTouch, JohnyNine's software Elve, Cinemar's Main Lobby, etc... This could be setup to control a sound system with a built in intercom, thermostat control, etc...

It's do-able, but it seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel. I agree with BSR, check out the off-the-shelf software solutions, paired with known, working hardware solutions. You're definately on the right track.

It's do-able, but it seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel. I agree with BSR, check out the off-the-shelf software solutions, paired with known, working hardware solutions. You're definately on the right track.

Hmm... it does seem like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel, but that's because I'm so picky and want things the way I want them. Plus the commercial touchscreens are $1500+ EACH. I know they put in a lot of time and R&D in them, which makes them expensive, but I like to tinker, and am looking for a little project. Just as long is it means I don't need an EE degree to put it together. Once I get a PC to accept all the inputs, I think I've got it from there.

Somewhat outside-the-box thought: What about breaking up a keyboard to where a few keyboard buttons are mounted to each wall plate. So, QWE are on the wall plate in the living room, RTY are on the wall plate in the kitchen, etc. That way, the computer will just respond to keystrokes. Potential? OK, you can't blame me for trying.

I saw this in Craigslist and have NO IDEA what the vendor or this deal is like, but HERE is an example of how you can get used touchscreens for cheap.

An iPad is only $599 and will be replacing those $1,500 touchscreens soon. I don't have a decent mount for mine yet (http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16793), but my interface has come along quite well (http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9315).

Personally, when we built, I wired for every possible HA toy I could think of at the time (I have a few of those price touchscreens around the house). I have been in for almost 2 years now, and still do not have everything hooked up that I wired for. I would suggest that you use something that is already available, and focus on the rest of your HA. You will be spending enough time with everything else, without having to worry about your touchscreens.

Building them into walls is not very convenient for sitting on the sofa and pressing buttons. I'd pepper the house with a few tablets and docking stations. Gives you the same capability, but they are portable, and you won't have obsolete junk mounted in your walls 5 years down the road.

I agree that using the wall panels for browsing music is not convenient. I fully intent to use ipod touches, ipads, or tablets to do anything more that see who is at the front door, change the music volume, or skip to the next song (Pandora thumbs up/down?).

1. I don't want to have to search for a tablet if something happens (like maybe a kid gets hurt or a new song comes on too loud) where I want to quickly cut the music or see who is at the door. That's where I'd like a wall mounted screen.

2. I don't want to stand at the wall and hit buttons to choose music, except maybe in the kitchen, where I'm used to standing up and operating wall mounted equipment. That's where I want to use a tablet sitting on the couch, chair, bed, bathtub, etc.

Back