Dahua Hybrid DVR - connecting to Elk Outputs

dw886

Hi-

I just swapped out an old DVR for a Dahua Hybrid.  I had my old DVR connected to outputs on my Elk M1, and was able to flag events in the DVR history. 

For example, when the doorbell rang, I have the Elk M1 turn on an Output that's connected to the DVR.  That is seen on the DVR side as an Alarm Event, and it changes the FPS from 10 to 30.  It also shows up in the history, and it's easy to go back and see the relevant times in the recorded history.

I attempted to hook up the Dahua in the same way.  I have a port on the back of the Dahua labeled "1" connected to an output on the M1, and I have the "Earth Cable" on the back of the Dahua connected to the Negative cable on the Output header on the right side of the M1.  I have terminals on the back of the unit labeled 1-16, with a scattering of "Earth Cable" terminals (I've attached some pictures of what the back of the unit looks like - the inputs with the connecting block installed are farthest left on the unit).

I trigger the output, and nothing happens on the DVR.  I took a multimeter, and put one end on the negative, and the other end on the output, and I see at least 12v when the output is on, and nothing when it's off (so the cabling is fine).

If I change the settings on the Dahua to from NO to NC, the alarm triggers right away, and won't turn off regardless of whether or not the output is on with the Elk.

So I'm certain that the Dahua isn't seeing the change - the documentation for the Dahua's is all over the place - I have a really new hybrid DVR, and none of the screenshots that I've seen look like what my Web UI looks like...

Does anyone have any experience with these - am I going about this right?  My old DVR worked with a similar wiring setup....

Thanks,
Derek

Attachments

• WP_20140329_001.jpg
    WP_20140329_001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 16
  • WP_20140329_002.jpg
    WP_20140329_002.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20140329_003.jpg
    WP_20140329_003.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
I think I know what the trouble is.  That unit might want to see a closure to ground (open collector).  You are providing a voltage. 

Try this test, disconnect all the wiring from the inputs, then get a piece of wire and put it on the 'ground' terminal.  Then touch it for a couple of seconds to one of the desired trigger inputs and see if this works.  Report back here please.

Wow - you are precisely correct!!  I shorted from a ground location to an input, and it went off.  The wiring diagrams that I had found said to connect the ground to a common.

Now the bigger question - how should this be wired?  Can I still use Outputs like I was doing in the past, and what's the easiest way to connect to ground?  I can connect to the ground on my electrical panel - it's about 8 feet away...

Are you using the on-board relay on the Elk for anything?  If not , there is a ground connection already on your terminals (the down arrow symbol) in your DVR terminal connection via the pics you attached.  Just take the NO from the Elk relay to one of the inputs on your DVR, then the C from the Elk relay to the ground symbol of your DVR.  Then you would have to close that output on the Elk for a couple of seconds with a rule (don't forget to close for a couple of seconds only so it re-opens for another detection).

If you already are using that relay, let us know as there is another alternative using the Elk sensitive relays which will be triggered via one of your analog outputs.

Yes, I'm already using the on-board relay to switch power for external sirens. 

I have an extra doorbell sensor and phone sensor (B and C from the Elk-930 package).  They both say "Open Collector" on the circuit board.  Can I use one of these (or both)?  Could I run my Outputs into these, and then use these to close the circuit?

I'd like to have a couple, so if there's a module that would allow me to share the C, and then selectively trigger 1 or more of the inputs, I'd be open to buying something as well.

That might work, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Here is what I would do.  I would get an expansion relay board such as this or this from Elk.  It will give you expansion capability in the future.

Or, if you just want to purchase minimum hardware, get one of these relays (you just use ONE of the relays on that board) and put it to one of the voltage outputs on the Elk (voltage output and ground), to trigger that relay, then wire the NO and C as described above.

It appears that I am in the same boat but in reverse.  I have a new Dahua IVS DVR hybrid (retrofitting existing camera system & upgrading with new cameras).  The IVS (Intelligent Video System) actually does most of the "detecting" work for you such as intrusion areas, tripwire, face recognition etc.  I am trying to figure out how to use the alarms relays on the DVR which are NO, NC, C to either connect to my ELK M1 to trigger rules or an alternate to my HomeSeer HA. Either way, they are ties together and work seamlessly with one another. The DVR would normally send an alarm signal out to a small siren or light to alert if a violation occurs. Instead I want that alarm signal to end up at HomeSeer (either from Elk or another path) to trigger events such as announcing event and/or turning on outside lights, sending text message based on the state of my Elk Alarm Status etc. 

Can I run a wire from the DVR alarm out (NO, NC relays) to the Elk relay (NO,NC) so that I can use the status of that relay for my rules?  I would need to add a relay expander as my only on board C relay is in use to control power for my interior security cameras so that they are only on when the alarm is set to away for privacy.  Or would I be better off trying to use the DVR Alarm out to some kind of virtual devise like a zwave sensor or something (really stuck on the something else) and just use that state to trigger the rules which HomeSeer could grab the state of the Elk.

I'm not really a techie but have been learning a lot along the way as I have been building this system on my own.  My shortcoming is the wiring stuff and a bit stronger on the computer side so any help or advise you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  I would not have ever gotten as far as I have without the good people from these forums being supportive!  

My System is Elk M1 Gold, ISY991ZW, HomeSeer, Dahua Pentabrid Ultra IVS DVR, Alexa.

LindaWCCA said:
Can I run a wire from the DVR alarm out (NO, NC relays) to the Elk relay (NO,NC) so that I can use the status of that relay for my rules?  I would need to add a relay expander as my only on board C relay is in use to control power for my interior security cameras so that they are only on when the alarm is set to away for privacy.  Or would I be better off trying to use the DVR Alarm out to some kind of virtual devise like a zwave sensor or something (really stuck on the something else) and just use that state to trigger the rules which HomeSeer could grab the state of the Elk.

You would connect the Common and either the NO or NC terminals of the DVR relay output to a zone input on the Elk, not to the Elk's relay terminals.

Then, you can write rules on the Elk that are triggered off the zone input.

Back