Dealer PC Access - Unhandled Exception has occurred - JIT Debugging

I've purchased a new machine running Windows 10 Pro, and installed Dealers PC Access.

My old machine was running Window 10 as well, and PCAccess is working; However, on the new load, I'm getting a dialog box saying "Unhandled Exception has occurred".  Under the box is the details from the drop down.

Anyone know how to fix my issue? 

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at HAI_Shared.xa3185d70476d517f..ctor(xc7958cd267590d0a HAC)
   at HAI_Shared.xc7958cd267590d0a.xef1d84ff7bc8de44(enuModel xccb1eeef6a33e9aa)
   at HAI_Shared.xc7958cd267590d0a..ctor(x175ec68523b2e6f0 _CFG, enuOEM O, enuLanguage L, enuModel M)
   at PCAccess3.frmShowAccountFiles.loadPcaFiles(String pcaPath)
   at PCAccess3.frmShowAccountFiles.tbRefresh_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
   at PCAccess3.frmMain.AddCaptiveForm(clsCaptiveForm F, Control C)
   at PCAccess3.frmMain.OpenAccountFilesForm()
   at PCAccess3.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9151 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PCA3D_EN
    Assembly Version: 3.1.0.477
    Win32 Version: 3.1.0.477
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/HAI/PC%20Access/PCA3D_EN.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9153 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
uddpauhx
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Also as a note..., All the research I've done keeps saying to change Just-In-Time Debugging in Visual Studio; however, I don't have that installed on either machine?  

This comment rings a bell:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4074585/attempted-to-read-or-write-protected-memory-this-is-often-an-indication-that-ot/27185770#27185770

Older pieces of frameworks used to build the app may have issues with more modern data protection handling.  The "better" solution is to have the programs re-compiled with modern OS target options.  But with a lot of old code that's not possible/practical/realistic/whatever.

Other comments on other threads mention issues with DLLs attempting to detect other hardware, like scanners, phones or bluetooth.  If you can run the machine as "bare bones" as possible that might help eliminate other complications.

However, it may also be the result of a missing .Net runtime, which is a whole other rabbit hole of issues.

For some older software the old viable solution I've found (short of keeping actual old hardware installed)  is to use a virtual machine setup.  For ones that require pass-through of USB devices that usually means using vmWare or a linux-based setup, as the Hyper-V setup on Windows doesn't pass USB hardware effectively. 

As for the JIT debugging message, that's sort of a red herring, as that would only really apply for the actual software development/compilation setup, not runtime in the field.

Some old software "barely ran" and did so while introducing a TON of potential data security problems.  Thus tightening it up at the OS/framework level was necessary to keep the bad software from dragging the whole machine down with it.

Doesn't help solve the current problem, but explains why old software will often run into problems on new OS and framework setups.

Here have PCA (posted fixed version) running on Windows Server that I access via RDP from my Linux boxes.  Works great for UPB Upstart, PCA, Homeseer touchscreen designer and other legacy automation management software.

I do not use the Windows 11 laptops / desktops (dual booting) for any automation / management software these days.

Looking above it looks like you have to install dot net on your new computer.  If you do that you probably will have no issues running PCA.

I have test installed PCA on my Windows 10 laptops with no issues using the posted link updated PCA.  Will try again today on new Windows 11 home office desktop.

My home office desktop runs Ubuntu 20.x desktop and dual boots to Windows 11 desktop.  Running Adobe (Premiere Pro) video editing software on the Windows 11 desktop and I had to upgrade the software for it to run without errors on Windows 11.

I've removed dot/NET Framework and reinstalled, and it now works.  

I must have did something during the installation of NET Framework during the first attempt...

Now I have a SnapLink Quetion...  I have SnapLink Version 1.1.22.290.  Is that the latest version as it connects to the panel, reads all current data, but it not sending commands?

I have the OLD OmniPro II style panel with the non-flashable chip that's running version 4.0b

Regards,
Bernie

Excellent!  Much like ActiveX and COM, the bits and pieces involved 'behind the scenes' for the .Net frameworks are sometimes... challenging to get installed properly.

Linux has, in much the same ways, equal adventures dealing with package dependencies.  Both have gotten "less worse" in recent years, so there's that.

Good news Bernie!!!

SnapLink Version 1.1.22.290 is from around 2011 and I believe it is an iOS application.  Some users here on the forum still have it working and many do not today.

Maybe some one will chime in.

Pete_c,

Yes, it's from WAY back when the HAI OmniPro II was the hottest panel around....  I'm having a hard time parting with it as it's been SO reliable.  I have the old style Panel with the unflashable eprom, but was able to create a 4.0b version.  

I've been trying different android applications, but having found anything working right. 

Leviton's SnapLink seems to be good, but doesn't adjust the screen for the people in the need to use larger fonts, and NQLinkPro seems to be buggy as it often crashes when using it.

Any suggetions?

Regards,
Bernie

Yes here too still using my OmniPro 2 panel.  So you purchased the upgrade chips to take your panel over to firmware V4.X?

I have been using a newer version (fixed by Leviton) for my Android phone and it works OK.  Fonts / screens are nonadjustable as stated unless maybe this works:

Change text & display settings

Android Snaplink

I do not leave any ports open today on my home network and utilize OpenVPN server and current version of OpenVPN client on Android to call home.

I just purchased a new Laptop running Windows 10 to replace my old laptop that was also running Win10. PCAccess3 ran fine on the old laptop with Win10 but will NOT install on the new laptop Running Win10. I am using this PCAcess install file (which is latest I can find on this Forum) = Setup_HAI_Dealer_PC_Access_3-4.2.3.5600.exe. When I try to install this version of PC Access it tells me that "This application requires the .NET framework version 2.0 to be installed" and then give me a link to go get this but the link returns a 404 Error. Any suggestions as to how I can Install PCAcess3 on my new laptop?? I have Win10 v21H1 (OS Build 19043.1110)
Thanks for your help

Back