Decent HA Weekend

Man, this is so wrong. I'm going to take tomorrow off, had 4 specific goals for the weekend:

1) Encase outside telephone wire in the flex-pipe I got from HD
2) Connect RJ31 to Elk
3) Mount 3 remaining cameras
4) Get Elk sound recorder working so that I can play custom sounds on doorbell/phone.

I made a massive mistake, and told the wife this am that I was going to take tomorrow off. She just emailed me telling me that we should go buy a shed tonight/tomorrow, so that I can assemble and secure it this weekend.

@#$@#$@*!

IVB said:
Man, this is so wrong. I'm going to take tomorrow off, had 4 specific goals for the weekend:

1) Encase outside telephone wire in the flex-pipe I got from HD
2) Connect RJ31 to Elk
3) Mount 3 remaining cameras
4) Get Elk sound recorder working so that I can play custom sounds on doorbell/phone.

I made a massive mistake, and told the wife this am that I was going to take tomorrow off. She just emailed me telling me that we should go buy a shed tonight/tomorrow, so that I can assemble and secure it this weekend.

@#$@#$@*!
You just need to convice her that you have no need for a shed! And that is such a silly idea.

This is clearly her taking retribution for me the UPS guy showing up 3 times this week.

Perhaps she's the one who should write a book on healthy spousal relationships...

Well ha, i showed her. I drank so much last night during my 1x/6month coworker happy hour that I literally just started feeling brave enough to get vertical for longer than 10 minutes.

IVB said:
This is clearly her taking retribution for me the UPS guy showing up 3 times this week.

Perhaps she's the one who should write a book on healthy spousal relationships...
Just tell her that it is all free after rebate items, and show her a rebate check every now and then :D

tried teh rebate thing and it didnt work to well. Then I had her fill them all out. She got tired of that and so now she doesnt bother me so much :D

Speaking of rebates, buy.com has the G7 Cordless mouse. I got it and am very pleased with it. Think it winds up being like $32 (normally around $80, think it is another model year close out, as the new $100 ones are out).

If you are looking for a wireless mouse, this one is very nice. Exceptionally smooth, swappable rechargeable batteries, adjustable sensitivity.

Awesome day, even if I didn't get nearly enough done as I wanted. Clearly the hours of learning about how phone lines/telco paid off as it only took me 3 hours to:

1) Determine which of the 2 demarc blocks was main line, which was alternate
2) Pull telco line out of house, encase within flex metal pipe that I got from HomeDepot, secure to both outside and inside of house, cut the excess pipe [and dang, is it hard to do that]
3) Connect Elk RJ31X block
4) Run telco wiring to Elk
5) Mount Leviton 12-way structured media center panel
6) Run telco wiring to SMC
7) Jury rig an RJ11->RJ45 cable (SMC uses RJ45 for phone distro), so I could test it out with an analog line
8) Reconnect it all, and the phone actually works!

I can't turn the Elk on right now, as I don't have a DSL filter and didn't realize I needed to split off to DSL before the Elk.
Here's the whole house filter that I just ordered from HomeTech to deal with this. This is the "cleanest" way to go, rather than some hokey inline filter, figured as long as I'm doing this whole thing I may as well do it right. Also while I'm "doing things right", I'm going to move my DSL modem/router to the "right" location in the basement with the other stuff, not in the MBR like it currently is. All in all, the project has another few hours before I can declare complete. I wouldn't call it "over allocated time", as I didn't think I'd be able to move that router so soon. The wife is going to love that as it gets the MBR that much cleaner.

Here's what the outer telephone line now looks like. Note that it comes into the house about 4' up, so it used to be pretty insecure. That's what all the houses are like in our neighborhood. I pulled on it pretty hard, no chance that the average joe will be able to yank that tube out with a standard pull. I'm sure a pro could do something if they really wanted in my house, but if you turn to the right, our neighbors have an unsecured phone line and a 50" plasma in plain view, so my theory is that I just want them to move to an easier house.

telco_line.jpg

I also bit the bullet and ordered an $850 in parts machine from newegg to make up for the $215 geeks.com PC that didn't work out. Clearly several levels higher than what I got, but I figured that rather than get another machine that's an outdated machine, I may as well get a basic Core2Duo setup. It's pretty basic, only 1 stick of 1GB RAM, but an Abit AB9 mobo with bigtime RAID on the mobo, and a fanless Gigabyte Geforce vidcard, so I can put it in the office and satisfy the wife's desire for quiet as well as my need for a 2nd video renderer.

So in that case, would I tie both the run for the DSL modem and the RJ31X to the inbound telco in at the demarc box?

The inline works but you still then have DSL signal running around the house and need filters on all the phones. I prefer the whole home type that you ordered, thats what I put in. You essentially put the corning inline as close to the demark as you can. This will filter the whole house including the 31x so you can remove all your individual filters. Then just run a line from the box to where your dsl modem will go. If you are using a SW can, I like the channel vision P-411 I just installed.

Ladies (are there any here?) and gentleman (i know there's none of those here ;) ), CQC2.0 has literally just allowed me to achieve my #2 priority from 15 months ago, when I first started down this route. In theory I could have done this with V1.4, 12 months ago, if I wanted to learn coding, but well, I didn't and was ok with waiting around for more user-friendly tools. And today is that day!!

In my house, the HVAC is all but unusable as the house is 96 yrs old and drafty as heck. We have to manually turn it on/off, even though we've got this fancy thermo and super-efficient blower. We can't leave it on as it's either burning hot or freezing cold, literally based on which way the wind is blowing outside and whether it's producing cross-drafts in the house and inside the house walls. Rather than attempt to insulate a house this old, our 2 different installers told us to suck it up b/c all the houses in our neighborhood are like this. I just used CQC's new local/global variable thingey and very easy to use command editor to automatically turn on the thermo, set it to 5 degrees warmer than it is now, and turn on the heat. [i need 5 degrees so the blower kicks in].

I'm going to set this to turn itself on at 7:45am on the weekends, 7:15am on M/W/F which is when both kids go to preschool, and 7:30 every other day. The wife is actually juiced about this, b/c it's always so dang cold when the kids first get up, and this'll be a nice alarm clock for them too.

Oh, and btw, today I
1) added a whole-house DSL filter that I bought from HomeTech, so I could have the Elk on without kicking out my DSL cxn
2) Seperated SageTV server from CQC server and moved the SageTV downstairs so I could jam it full of SDTV and HDTV tuner cards and stack D* boxes next to it without messing up an already jammed media closet
3) Mounted an autopatch for HTPC/officePC/777 component video sharing to my plasma, ran wiring so I could share it with the MBR TV as soon as we replace it. [on that note, it's beginning to die, so that'll happen soon too!)
4) Added an HDTV CAt's eye tuner card to the SageTV box, got that up & running
5) Built out some more popups using the new 2.0 popup template mgr. Man, that's cool stuff.

Here's 3 token pics, i'll take more tomorrow. One of the event mgr for the HVAC stuff above, one with a popup.

(Click here for an event mgr screencap is attached as it's too wide for a clean looking post]

Here's the 2nd/3rd. Pressing the blue source button on the left brings up the popup. Helps make the system look cleaner by getting rid of all the crap. Those particular buttons & colors don't necessarily work, but i'm sure i'll obsess over that later too.

BTW, the wife personally chose the fonts on the menu as she thinks go nicer with the art. You may also notice a slight change in the background on the wrapper, as she thought it looked a bit cleaner and more organic. Now THAT'S real progress and engagement.

av_menu.jpg

av_popup_roomchoice.jpg

big hats off to Steve, my lesson re-learned yet again is "Use quality wire".

I was having DSL connection and speed issues(went from 2.4Mbps down to 1.2Mbps), Steve suggested that I check out the quality of the connection. I took out the cheap, 22g I had used to connect the telco line to the DSL filter, put in some solid 16g wire that's so thick, it's a royal PITA to bend. I'm now immediately up to 1.8Mbps download. Right now I'm using a long distance cheap telephone cable wire to run to DSL that's probably 24g on a good day. I'm going to order some RJ12 connectors, I might be able to get it even better by using that CAT6 cable i've got laying around.

Live a little, re-learn a little.

Back