Denon AVR-S760H

pete_c

Guru
Lately watching movies with Dolby Atmos Soundtracks and my old Pioneer VSX plays everything except Dolby Atmos.

Considering the Denon AVR-S760H budget priced AVR.  Good reviews looking so far.

Any comments on Denon AVRs?

I know nothing of the brand but make sure, whatever you purchase can be controlled via Erhernet protocol packets of some sort and the protocol is available to the public. You are a control freak and will appreciate the ability to hook your HA system into it for voice control, occupancy simulation while away, etc.

Dolby Atmos is nice as it divorces the speaker setup from the source sound positioning. The amp logic figures it out. Dolby Atmos only requires a matching speaker configuration to whatever the amp decides can match. My Onkyo setup allows many 3, 4, 5, 6 7, and 9 speaker setups. Atmos is not a speaker setup, or positioning, definition. It indicates a sound position and the decoder positions the phase shifts and volumes best according to your calibrated speaker distances to your ears. It will supplied with a special microphone for automatic calibration.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

We have only used Denon amps from the very early days, these are one of the best amps for playing classical music. I would second LarryLix in having a model that is equipped with ethernet or RS232 control option. These amps last very long time and the only reason for upgrade in our case was to add more speakers and airPlay. Our current model is close to 8 years old and still suits our needs. Full control over very comprehensive ASCII protocol, two speaker zones and an amazing sound quality.

Thank you guys. 

Here currently utilize a 7.2 configuration of speakers.  I was testing with 4k video/audio clips.  The Dolby Atoms clips only played in Stereo.

Am item I forgot with the Ethernet connection is upgradeability. With such complex features in these receivers, many bugs are found and the features can get obsoleted quickly.

IOW:Look for a brand with a good upgrading reputation.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Back