Device to Remotely Cover a Security Camera?

tmc1284

I have a vacation rental with an interior security camera. I'll use a remote controllable power plug to power it off when it is being rented and back on when it is vacant, but I still feel that guests will not be comfortable with it being in view.

I do have a SmartThings Z-Wave Hub. The security camera is standing upright and on a level surface above my kitchen cabinets(it's a Piper nv security camera measuring 4" W x 6" H with the camera lens just below 5" H) and there is leveled space in front of it for a device to cover/shield it. Is there a device that exists could be used to shield the view of the Security Camera that can go up and then retract back down? I feel like the device I'm looking for, if it even exists, is going to take some creative thinking to come up with an idea. I wouldn't care if it was a device or multiple devices that look completely out of place. For example if I placed a few meant to be in-ground garden sprinklers that are actually are able to go up then stop, and then retract remotely I'm pretty sure my guests would prefer the garden sprinklers over the security camera.

You may have some other issues besides your renters depending what State the residence is in as well as constitutional issues. If I were you, I would limit all my cameras to outside the home. You may then be able to use them as an amenity to your rentals.

Without going into a lot of legal bs, people are entitled to privacy where a person would normally expect it. Outside one can pretty much do as they please because it is understood if one is outside they are subject to being seen.

This is a very simplified explanation but a screw up with the power source switch to your camera could be a nightmare for you. There has even been recent legal rulings on people having friends and guests over to their homes and it was ruled that the invited friends into your home, with you present, were entitled to privacy.

Like I said this is the simple explanation.

I'll be able to determine on my phone if there is a malfunction in turning off the power, and in that case I would have someone I know turn off the power, as I have a keyless entry door that I can remotely assign codes. 

Does anyone have a creative solution to be able to remotely shield the view of the powered-off camera? I've recently heard of remote controllable Robotic Button Pushers that can attach to a device and push it's button. So the device that shields the camera from view and is able to retract doesn't need to be able to be remote controllable as long as it has a button.

Since you aren't overly concerned with appearance, maybe an upside down bucket lowered down over the camera by a winch.  :)

You could also put the camera on a turntable and rotate it 180 degrees for privacy, so that it faces away.  Using a 24V swimming pool valve operator as a camera base would be easily automated.

You could also tilt the camera 90 degrees forward to make it lay "face down" into the top of the cabinet.

WayneW said:
Since you aren't overly concerned with appearance, maybe an upside down bucket lowered down over the camera by a winch.  :)

You could also put the camera on a turntable and rotate it 180 degrees for privacy, so that it faces away.  Using a 24V swimming pool valve operator as a camera base would be easily automated.

You could also tilt the camera 90 degrees forward to make it lay "face down" into the top of the cabinet.
If all else fails I would go with the wench lowering the bucket...

I have a Piper Security Camera. It doesn't tilt. Are you suggesting a method using another device that can push it forward and be able to pull it back upright by chance?

The turntable idea is very creative and I think there is a good chance that the solution I find is equally ridiculous sounding. However, I wouldn't want guests to even notice that a security camera is present even if it is turned around.

No ideas are ridiculous to me if it can accomplish remotely being able to hide or push/pull the camera out of view. There is a 1 inch ledge in front of where the camera is placed so if it was able to be pushed down and pulled back up somehow it wouldn't be noticeable when it's pushed down.

One way you could do this is to construct a small box to place the camera in.  The front of the box would be smart glass that you could switch from frosted to transparent by remote control.

One company that sells evaluation kits at relatively low cost is Invisishade.  On the main web page, click on "Buy Now" to see the kits. Rigging up a way to control it remotely would be something for you to figure out, and would add to the cost.

The thing I like about this approach is that is has no moving parts.

Sorry I didnt offer a solution and went off on my rant first:

You can find automated small door closers.  All you would have to do is wire one up to a box to house the camera.  I use a relativly small on   chicken coop.  My HAI tells the door to close at 1/2 hour after suunset and open again at sunrise.  I think its chicken doors.com or something silly like that.  Works great and protects the girls at night from the other critters.  But there is also a lot of smaller automated door closers that would work great.  

With that said it is not  good idea gto use indoor cameras in a home.  There is no upside to it, or nothing an outdoor camera could not do but a ton of downside.  First check with your States AG.  Even if that works you have the 4th Ammendment.  I have been a PI and consult on the control of etraordinary violence and lmost never use them in a residence.

Some case law:  A guy wnted to catch his wife cheating.  He did and submitted it as evidence in the divorce proceedings.  She sued him based on him violatinng her fourth ammendment rights, case is thrown out, she gets everthing, he goes to jail.  

The bigger problem I see is the clients.  Hopefully you want a good rep and wnt the people to come back again.  So what if it is discovedred powered on  or not.  How do you defend that.  What is a bad internet rating or someone even calling you s perv.

There is just no upside to it.  It doesn't offer security and people are rarley caught.  Put it away in the owners closet and lock it up.  Okay, you got to make a trip out there but let say your power interface doesnt work to turn it off.  you got to make the trip anyway.    

Back