Disapointed in Vizia RF

ChrisWalker said:
The best way to determine the featureset of the switches is probably to go through the official "installer-level" training. Just sign up and watch it online; I believe it's free:
http://ezlearn.leviton.com/el_front/

Chris
After watching the tutorials, I was surprised to hear that each load device can only have 5 controllers associated with it, and more astonishing was that wall mounted controllers can only control up to 32 devices?

So if I wanted an ALL OFF button on a 4 button Area Controller and had 50 switches/dimmers I would really need two buttons?

In addition as long as I'm talking numbers, Vizia RF can control a maximum of 128 Vizia RD devices and about 100ish more standard zwave devices. The master remote can control 128 devices.

johnnynine said:
After watching the tutorials, I was surprised to hear that each load device can only have 5 controllers associated with it
That is an unaccepatable limitation for many larger installs.

For example, in my house, I have the kitchen lights controlled by:

1) Another dimmer in a virtual 3-way
2) Keypad in the garage x 2 (one button for ON, one for OFF)
3) Keypad in the Foyer x 2 (one button for ON, one for OFF)
4) Keypad in Master Bedroom x2 (Panic ON and House OFF)
5) PLC for Houselinc
6) PLC for ELK

So depending on how you count them, that is either 6 or 9 controllers for a simple kitchen switch.

Now if Leviton come out with a HARDWARE controller, then maybe it would be OK.

Herdfan said:
1) Another dimmer in a virtual 3-way
I'm not 100% sure, but if you were using Vizia RF, couldn't you install a normal Non-RF Vizia companion switch to control the 3 way, instead of using a Vizia RF single scene switch?

Can anyone verify that?

I'm not 100% sure, but if you were using Vizia RF, couldn't you install a normal Non-RF Vizia companion switch to control the 3 way, instead of using a Vizia RF single scene switch?

Can anyone verify that?
Yes, you can. As long as there is a wire between them (like a regular 3 way would be wired).

Herdfan, though i see your point, in my case i have Elk Keypads in the master and by the garage exit. My main use at those areas would be some thing like whole house off or set the downstairs zone to some preset level )pr [anic as you mention).. I could obtain that using f5/f6 task mapping on the elk keypad.

f6 on both = off
f5 on garage = downstairs at 80%
f5 in master = downstairs / upstairs at 20%

anyways, you could save some controllers if that workers... just a thought...

-brad

Acropolis said:

Can anyone verify that?
Yes, you can. As long as there is a wire between them (like a regular 3 way would be wired).
Can you explain how to do this. I tried it with Monsters 3-way dimmer and ACT AS101 Companion and it did not work. I recall they could be wired two ways (neutral or hot) but I only tried one way so far which was the recommended way. I was waiting for ViziaRF companion switches.

take a look at the instruction sheet on the vizia rf devices:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmD...?a=b&item=75451

if you have the travelers from an original hard wire 3way, there's no difference unless you use the coordinating with leds. In which case one of your travelers now becomes hot.

hope that helps

FYI - in regards to herdfans's post and the original question, the answer to the "IF" is likely no. i.e. if the original install only had a single pole, you don't really have an option, but to go virtual 3-way (i have one such condition in my dining room which was originally a living room). The ceiling was wired to single pole on one doorway. They have a set of three-ways controlling the bottom half of wall outlets in the room (for lamps), but the three-ways are in different J-boxes and also on the other side of the doorway from the single pole. I'm gonna rewire those so that effectly, one will become single pole, the old travelers will now become hot and outlet-load to the other box... and i'll use that new hot and the exiting neutral to power the 1-scene dimmer controller in that other doorway. (load line just gets a wire nut in the box)

Back