Discrete phone boxes for bathroom

english_1969

I want to install a phone in the bathrooms (near toilet) of my soon to be constructed home.

My wife doesn't like anything I've seen so far.

Anyone got any ideas for a discrete box that can be mounted into the wall cavity and have a paintable, smooth cover?

Thoughts???

english_1969 said:
I want to install a phone in the bathrooms (near toilet) of my soon to be constructed home.

My wife doesn't like anything I've seen so far.

Anyone got any ideas for a discrete box that can be mounted into the wall cavity and have a paintable, smooth cover?

Thoughts???
If the wall is hollow why can't you box in a recessed wood cabinet for the phone? You can use a hinged or sliding door painted to match the woodwork. Just make it big enough for any phone you are likely to buy and BE SURE TO PUT IT HIGH ENOUGH TO SEE AND USE EASILY. I have seen a lot of "Knee knocker" installations next to the John!

Check with your electrician for sure but I suspect any telephone hardwiring in a bathroom won't pass inspection.

90V A/C when ringing would pickle you if dropped into a tub or sink (or turlet) !

Maybe a cordless would work ?

nsisman said:
Check with your electrician for sure but I suspect any telephone hardwiring in a bathroom won't pass inspection.
Your comment makes sense, but I don't thing so, at least in the US. I have seen to many phones in new houses and hotels to think this is a violation. But maybe those hotel phones were all special PBX phones with an abnormally low ring voltage and the house phones were all bootleg? I am not a code expert, but my house has a phone in a toilet room (not in reach of a tub or sink) (and I didn't do it). Anybody know for sure?

I have phones in my bathroom's. In Florida, low voltage wiring is not regulated in residential homes. I just wired to a standard box. Never thought about recessing a box for a hidden phone - would be simple and much more aestheticly pleasing. That's one more project to add to the list.

Do you guys really have the need to answer the phone while in the bathroom? I hope I never find the need for this. HomeSeer Phone announces who's calling over the whole house audio system and takes a message. I can always return the call later.

Rupp said:
Do you guys really have the need to answer the phone while in the bathroom? I hope I never find the need for this. HomeSeer Phone announces who's calling over the whole house audio system and takes a message. I can always return the call later.
After waiting all day for the cable guy to show up you will just let his call go to the answering machine? He won't leave a message; just skip to the next house on his list and try you again later... maybe.

upstatemike said:
Rupp said:
Do you guys really have the need to answer the phone while in the bathroom?  I hope I never find the need for this.  HomeSeer Phone announces who's calling over the whole house audio system and takes a message.  I can always return the call later.
After waiting all day for the cable guy to show up you will just let his call go to the answering machine? He won't leave a message; just skip to the next house on his list and try you again later... maybe.
How often do you talk with the cable guy? I'm at work when these guys come and they call ahead so you can meet them at the house. Personally I could live without a single phone. I hate the interruption.

When I re-did our bathroom ~10yrs ago, I built a new vanity with a magazine rack right next to the throne. The top of the rack tips out if you pull it, with a little pocket behind the magazines that is just the right size for a small phone. The thinking was that the ringer would be shut off, as the other ringers in the house are clearly audible in there.

I pulled the wires, but it has never been hooked up. (for that matter, I never finished trimming out the rack either. D'oh! ;-)

Back