Distributed Audio - Amplifier selection

OK - A quick question for a Russound person -
If I am able to find a used 6.6T or 6.6X with no keypads and only limited time to make sure it "Works" is there a sure fire method of testing? I imagine the zones will each be in whatever state they were left, correct? So simply applying power and hooking speakers to each zone (and an input), one by one, may not necessarily be a good test.

Any ideas?

If I were testing I would check everything out. A pair of speakers, a music source with RCA outs, and a keypad will let you test ost everything. I would just cycle through all the input and output combinations and test all the keypad connections. I actually use the RCA outs on zone 1 and 2 so those can be important to test. Hrder to tet but really important is the serial port. Without this you lose remote control of the unit since it is too primitive to contain an ethernet port.

One really good aspect of the unit is that it integrates with almost everything. From that point of view you can't go wrong.

OK - A quick question for a Russound person -
If I am able to find a used 6.6T or 6.6X with no keypads and only limited time to make sure it "Works" is there a sure fire method of testing? I imagine the zones will each be in whatever state they were left, correct? So simply applying power and hooking speakers to each zone (and an input), one by one, may not necessarily be a good test.

Any ideas?

If I were testing I would check everything out. A pair of speakers, a music source with RCA outs, and a keypad will let you test ost everything. I would just cycle through all the input and output combinations and test all the keypad connections. I actually use the RCA outs on zone 1 and 2 so those can be important to test. Hrder to tet but really important is the serial port. Without this you lose remote control of the unit since it is too primitive to contain an ethernet port.

One really good aspect of the unit is that it integrates with almost everything. From that point of view you can't go wrong.

In my scenario, it is very possible that I will not have a keypad - so am I out of luck without one?

EDIT- Someone on the Homeseer board suggested I could use the Russound plugin for control... Will be looking @ that and hopefully it won't require previous manipulation via a keypad before it can talk.

I am using CasaTunes. Its easy...and the Ipod Touch App works really well! I am using a media server PC that is on all the time....so the xli distribution worked good for me. I found that it was best NOT to 'integrate' the amp with the controller. This way you are not tied to one technology...you can switch it up.

I bought the HTD DMA 1240 amp ($700). Bought the Casatunes xli card and software($500). My existing IPod touch's ($150). I'm in the game for pretty cheap. Buy some speakers....

k

Back