Diversity...in X10 modules

Guy Lavoie

As most of us already know, the X10 modules were sold under many brands and names. That probably played a significant role in making them so widespread. Marketing to different interest groups. The most widespread seem to be the generic X10 Powerhouse ones, and possibly the Radio Shack Plug 'n Power. I was just going through my box of various modules and thought that it would be interesting to see how many different brands I could find. How about seven!

Anyone else have this many? It would be interesting to see pics of the other brands I don't have in that picture.

I also have a few Leviton wall switches.

Attachments

• 20221029_135851.jpg
    20221029_135851.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hah, just noticed I had two RCA modules in there. Ok, so 6 brands of modules, plus in other X10 gear: Leviton, PCS, Smarthome

I wasn't aware there were that many variations of the basic appliance modules. All I have/had were the powerhouse modules in the blue cloudy boxes. Is this just rebadged hardware, or is the implementation different as well?

Here mostly used and still have the BSR light and appliance switches in the Christmas storage boxes. Managed in the early 1980's with the Commodore C64 computer.

I wasn't aware there were that many variations of the basic appliance modules. All I have/had were the powerhouse modules in the blue cloudy boxes. Is this just rebadged hardware, or is the implementation different as well?
It's all rebadged, except for those BSR ones, where the codewheels are on the sides. Some companies like Leviton and Smarthome did design their own versions of some modules. Look at the wikipedia entry on X10, you'll see many more brands listed too.

Back