Does a glass break and motion detector all in one exist?

Yup, the DSC BV-500GB. I think Brandon uses them and likes them. I have one I still need to hook up to test. They are ceiling mount and not a good choice if you have pets, but otherwise I understand they work well.

Yup, the DSC BV-500GB. I think Brandon uses them and likes them. I have one I still need to hook up to test. They are ceiling mount and not a good choice if you have pets, but otherwise I understand they work well.

You can put the motion and glass break on different zones if that helps. If your clever you can have power and two zones on one 4 conductor. :)

This is my first post after spending dozens of hours reading lots of very good stuff here over the past 3 months. This is an awesome forum with a wealth of great information. I have been researching and designing a modest integrated security and automation system for my home which is about 5 years old. So I'm somewhat limited on what I can do with an existing house. I am a DIYer and not a pro integrator like many of you folks, but I'm having fun and plan to stick with it. I have most of my Bill of Materials selected-- centered around the Elk M1G.

Staying on topic with this thread, I would like to hear more reviews of combination Glass Break and Motion sensors. Based on what I have read, I am looking seriously at the DSC BV500GB or the Crow SRPG-II. I currently have laid out for 6 of these sensors.

Any advice will be appreciated. Are there drawbacks to the combo devices? Should I be looking at other technologies or brands? I know you need my overall design strategy to fully answer this, but I welcome what info you can give me.

I plan future posts with many more questions about overall design and device selection. Of course, most of my questions get answered by just searching and finding the right thread in this forum.

Welcome. I don't use combo units. My concern would be that the proper placement for a glass break would not be the proper placement for a motion. It all depends on the layout of the room and your specific requirements.

You can put the motion and glass break on different zones if that helps. If your clever you can have power and two zones on one 4 conductor. :)

Okay, I'll bite... how does one get 2 powered zones off one 4-conductor? I have a few guesses (I think I could do this in 5 wires... 2 for the zone outs, 1 common zone return to a common ELK zone, and then 2 for power). Is it safe to use one of the power cables for a zone-return?

Black - Negative for power and zones.
Red - Positive power.
Yellow - Zone one.
Green - Zone two.

Back