Dual Band Switchlinc overcomes CFL noise?

ctwilliams

I have three CFLS on a circuit that is currently controlled by the non-dual band switchlinc. Due to what I assume is CFL noise (works fine with three incandescent bulbs), I only get the off command recognized by the switch about fifty percent of the time.

Would one of the new dual band switchlincs be able to receive the off command via the access point without any issue from the CFL or is the noise from the CFLs just "overloading" the whole switch with noise and there would be no difference?

Thanks for any ideas...

CT

I assume you are speaking about insteon. I have read of mixed results in relying on dual-band devices in an attempt to overcome powerline noise. My suspicion is that you will be better off installing a filter on this lighting circuit.

I would think a wired in filter. Between the SwithcLinc's load output and the load. Would be a better way to go.

I would think a wired in filter. Between the SwithcLinc's load output and the load. Would be a better way to go.

I can't answer with 100% certainty because I suppose it's technically possible to still have some interference but we have had great success with the dual band dimmers. One of our installers has been using half dual band dimmers in his recent installs and has been really impressed by the performance and reliability as a result... most of these installs have been in the 60+ switch range in bigger homes.

If you only have a few RF pieces your results may vary.

Cheers
Robert

I can't answer with 100% certainty because I suppose it's technically possible to still have some interference but we have had great success with the dual band dimmers. One of our installers has been using half dual band dimmers in his recent installs and has been really impressed by the performance and reliability as a result... most of these installs have been in the 60+ switch range in bigger homes.

If you only have a few RF pieces your results may vary.

Cheers
Robert

Thanks for the suggestion of the filter. Unfortunately I have no easy way to add one for this circuit.

I did install a dual band switchlinc and it did solve the problem. I have no more issues with the switch missing the turn off command. May not work in all situations, but it worked here with three CFLs on a circuit...

CT

I had always thought going to the RF would solve a lot (maybe not all) of the INsteon communications problems and apparently it does. Had SH done this from day one the way they implied they would have a much better reputation.

The 5 v signal on the powerline is just not enough to overcome noise but the RF gets around that.

My opinion now is that Insteon could become a viable product if they can improve their quality (which may also be happening). Easier to set up than Zwave but Zwave is way ahead of Insteon and SH may not catch up.

To follow up on this further....The dual link switch has been operating with no issue since I installed it with the CFLs.

BUT, we lost power and when it was restored the switchlinc screeched loudly. Nonstop. To get it to stop I had to pull the tab on the bottom. After letting it sit for about 3 hours I pushed it in again and it was fine. We lost power again later in the day and had the same issue.

I called Smarthome and was advised that this was a "feature". Since they do not support CFLs the switch is designed to squeal and be non functional when attached to them. I was further advised that it was possible that the screeching would continue without end as long as the switch was attached to CFLs making it useless.

I will leave my own commentary out about this "feature" but wanted to make everyone aware. And, how the switch was recommended to me by Smarthome for CFLs.

CT

Since there are no Dual Band Switchlinc Relay modules. You have a Dual Band Switchlinc dimmer?
I have seen this screeching with improper loads reported in the Smarthome Forums also.
Dimmers do no get along with CFLs. Sometimes the dimmable CFLs are OK.

To follow up on this further....The dual link switch has been operating with no issue since I installed it with the CFLs.

BUT, we lost power and when it was restored the keypadlinc screeched loudly. Nonstop. To get it to stop I had to pull the tab on the bottom. After letting it sit for about 3 hours I pushed it in again and it was fine. We lost power again later in the day and had the same issue.

I called Smarthome and was advised that this was a "feature". Since they do not support CFLs the switch is designed to squeal and be non functional when attached to them. I was further advised that it was possible that the screeching would continue without end as long as the switch was attached to CFLs making it useless.

I will leave my own commentary out about this "feature" but wanted to make everyone aware. And, how the switch was recommended to me by Smarthome for CFLs.

CT

Well if they reccommended it (of course they will probably deny it now that there is a problem) you should get your money back.

Typical SH........

Are you talking about a KeypadLinc or a SwitchLinc dimmer?
Are these dimmable CFL bulbs?

My bad, I said keypadlinc but meant switchlinc. The bulbs are not dimmable. However, the switch works with them with no issue (except at restoration of power)...

Since there are no Dual Band Switchlinc Relay modules. You have a Dual Band Switchlinc dimmer?
I have seen this screeching with improper loads reported in the Smarthome Forums also.
Dimmers do no get along with CFLs. Sometimes the dimmable CFLs are OK.

Correct, it is the switchlinc dimmer..

Good to know...if these stop working I will switch over to the dimmable..

I wouldn't exactly blame SH for a problem when using non-dimmable cfl's with a dimmer. You aren't supposed to do this with any brand of dimmer. And perhaps they did tell you on the phone that your cfl noise would be fixed using a dual band switch, but perhaps it wasn't clear that the cfl you were using was a non-dimmable one.

Having said that. If it works except when power goes out and then just needs to have the tab pulled to fix it, then I would just do that. Soon enough they will have dual band relays and you can swap it out and move the dimmer somewhere else in your house.

Many of us are patiently waiting for Dual Band Relay style switches and plug in Insteon modules.

Back