DVD Player Recommendations - networked/Netflix/discrete control codes

Smarty

I am wondering if anyone has any DVD player recommendations.....

The player will be for the master bedroom and feed directly to the TV. 

Preferable, I would like :
   1) the DVD player to connect to my network (wired or wifi)
   2) have Netflix and other apps
   3) and connect to my automation system via network or serial control (discrete control) of the device. 

In my searching for DVD players, items 1 and 2 are fairly common, but does anyone know of a DVD make/model that has all three items?  Or, maybe a player that has an ipad/iphone app that can fully control the player.

Thanks in advance

I've shut off the BD player and disconnected it while its still on the shelf.   It is no longer utilized.

Today using a mini pc from Aopen running XBMC.  It still though has a 1 Tb drive inside of it. (consumer version)

I have recently switched it from running wintel to linux these days.

I also purchased a number of the simple digital engines made for signage.  Case is all metal on these. (commercial versions).

These stream live TV, play back NAS content (video and audio), BD player, internet audio and video content.

These are very simple small footprint mini pc's and will autoplay DVD's or BD's just fine.  They come stock with bluetooth (keyboard and mouse) and one internal mini pcie card slots (for wireless cards).  These though are a bit larger though than the Intel NUC (which will probably be testing / playing with next).

They have a patented small footprint motherboard developed/designed way before the Mac mini a few years ago.

I also utilize BCM mITX boards in small footprint cases for a similiar DIY.  (no DVD/BD).  Industrial / commercial motherboards.

Attachments

• Mini-BD Player.jpg
    Mini-BD Player.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini-BD Player-3.jpg
    Mini-BD Player-3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini-BD Player-2.jpg
    Mini-BD Player-2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini-BD Player-5.jpg
    Mini-BD Player-5.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini-BD Player-4.jpg
    Mini-BD Player-4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • lg_MX67QMD_Q67_Chipset_DC_Power-B.jpg
    lg_MX67QMD_Q67_Chipset_DC_Power-B.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 2
  • m350-1.jpg
    m350-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
drvnbysound said:
People still buy DVD players?
Any reason not to go ahead and get a BD player?

Yes could be a BD player as well...as long as it can play what I have which is DVDs..

drvnbysound said:
I have no idea how much you are looking to spend, and I spent only about 5 minutes searching, but this fits all of your requirements:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-62FD

Unless I am missing something, I see very little "control" of the device. 

I would like to be able to do things like:
-Turn the unit on/off and open/close the dvd bay when my HA system tells it to
-Open Netflix and navigate about in Netflix using HA sent commands

Thanks Pete....

I may end up going this route....just didn't want to have to support another PC....but maybe.... 

pete_c said:
I've shut off the BD player and disconnected it while its still on the shelf.   It is no longer utilized.

Today using a mini pc from Aopen running XBMC.  It still though has a 1 Tb drive inside of it. (consumer version)

Linux XBMC based OS is a bit lighter than Wintel.  Both though offer discrete network control.  Passive cooling for a quiet device. 

Personally while I have IR blasters never have used them for automation control and always preferred a serial or network or USB direct connection for any type of automation to mothership control. 

Over the last few years I have reduced the footprint of MM stuff adjacent to LCD TV. 

Right now its just MM receiver, Satelite DVR (plus just one satellite reciever) and MM box.  (OTA, Cable TV, CCTV and satellite are connected to MythTV box's).

You can connect each XBMC box to one DB such that they all have the same replicated content.

Looking now at building another box using LinuxMCE for additional remote boxes.

Other TV's in house still have satellite recievers and now little XBMC boxes for rest of video and audio in different parts of the house.

House "TV IN" live stuff is OTA, Cable, CCTV and Satellite. 

I don't really watch live TV though.  I do also take the OTA HD video in and feed SD back to it on channels 3 and 4 SD.

Smarty said:
Yes could be a BD player as well...as long as it can play what I have which is DVDs..

Unless I am missing something, I see very little "control" of the device. 

I would like to be able to do things like:
-Turn the unit on/off and open/close the dvd bay when my HA system tells it to
-Open Netflix and navigate about in Netflix using HA sent commands

I have the Pioneer protocol for my AVR. It's fairly robust - allowing me to change inputs, volume, etc... basically anything that you would do via remote control. I would assume that the same would be true for the BD player via the RS-232C port - that's what it's there for.

Here is a (currently 19-page) thread dedicated to the BD player that I linked above:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428692/avs-owners-thread-for-the-pioneer-elite-bdp-62fd

I haven't found the specific document for the 62FD, but here are 2 documents regarding the IP protocol for other Pioneer branded BD players, including their other 2 current models (52FD and 53FD):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Custom%20Install/RS-232%20Codes/Blu-ray%20Disc%20&%20DVD%20Players/2011%20Pioneer%20BDP_IP_&_RS-232_Commands.pdf

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Custom%20Install/RS-232%20Codes/Blu-ray%20Disc%20&%20DVD%20Players/2011%20Blu-ray%20IP%20&%20RS-232%20Commands%20BDP140_BDP52FD.pdf

Back