EHX News?

Much of what happened in the Long Beach version was not only unspeakable, but un-hintable on a public forum - I wanna know if this one was so fun that *everything* is un-hintable!

A pretty uneventful show really.

Most of what I saw had already been announced at CES or just through press release.

It was nice to see some of these previously released products in person but I wasn't really awed by anything.

Most of what I saw had already been announced at CES or just through press release.

It was nice to see some of these previously released products in person but I wasn't really awed by anything.

So no cool product announcements? No UPB screw-in module? No Z-Wave battery powered "Stick-A Switch"? No Insteon Motion sensor switch? :(

So no cool product announcements? No UPB screw-in module? No Z-Wave battery powered "Stick-A Switch"? No Insteon Motion sensor switch? :(

I quickly walked through the show this year and was quite disappointed. It was MOSTLY distributors and high end equipment. Things that caught my eye are:

Leviton stated they will release the z-wave 3 speed fan controller early summer.

Control4 said they are/will be Zigbee Pro compatible this summer - cool equipment and not that expensive (touchscreens and remotes; lights are still expensive).

Automated outlet has great sales on UPB and Buffalo IR products - if you use it. I'm a z-wave guy.

NO new z-wave products were demonstrated - I did not stick around long enough to ask about future products (vaporware).

That's about it.

I'm glad my ticket was free!

Did HAI show their Omnistat II? If so, did it have electronics inside, or was it the mockup they showed at C.E.S? I would like to see the spectrum of user-selectable backlight colors that it's supposed to have.

Did HAI show their Omnistat II? If so, did it have electronics inside, or was it the mockup they showed at C.E.S? I would like to see the spectrum of user-selectable backlight colors that it's supposed to have.

Yes, they did have a working Omnistat II on display. The color range was very nice (over 100 IIRC). The unit also has a better feel to it than the original one and the dial is very nice. Another nice installer feature is that both cables now wire to the base making it easier to install IMO.

Martin from AO stoped by the zwaveworld forums and told us he was going to be stocking a stick a switch soon.

The show was pretty busy Thursday and Friday. Saturday was a bit slower. I'm not sure I would say it was mostly distributors, but all the big guys were certainly there - AO, Systems Depot, ADI, Worthington, 21st Century and Silmar. I would say most of it was the same vendors as usual with a few new ones and products. I did not have alot of time, but wandered around a little on Saturday and took a few pictures of the floor. I did not make it to the Zwave pavillion which was outside of the main hall.

The pictures can be found here.

Some items I found interesting were the UPB Stick-A-Switches with EnOcean Technology. I saw a single and dual vertical rocker design on display. Also on display and working were an ISY-99u, an IES touchpanel and a UPB RF receiver (used the 4 button transmitter seen in the Stick A Switch picture).

As mentioned HAI had new products out like the new t-stat and structured DVR. For those of you doing prewire there was an interesting product that seemed like it would make finding wires later alot easier. With this product you could leave a wire in a stud bay and pull it out exactly where it needed to be with only a small hole. It was the X-Spot. See their website for more info. RTI must be doing well because they sported an all new booth design which is bigger and nicer than previous years. Also met Lisa from Numinus. The starfield tiles were really cool and seemed alot easier to install than fiber.

The UPB Stick-A-Switches that Steve mentioned are actually battery-less and wireless. The switches were very "snappy" (you had to press with a decent force and then they made a fairly noticeable snap sound). Read more about the battery-less aspect here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EnOcean

NuVo announced:
  • the 500 gig version of their M3 Music server
  • the NuVoNet Adapter - to allow HA panels to integrate into the keypad menu's etc
  • the T2SIR Dual AM/FM/Sirius-ready Tuner
  • the PC music source - to bring in metadata from an external media server
  • the Essentia E6G - 6x6, energy star complaint
SmartHome leaked that coming soon are:
  • Insteon motion detector
  • Insteon contact switch
  • Insteon moisture/leak switch
I did tour the Insteon show home with 61 keypads, 170 switches, 35 lamp modules, & no filters. SmartHome got involved after a lot of the electrical decisions had already been made, so they didn't have full control of the project. There was no integration between the GE security system and the Insteon stuff, so there wasn't much in the way of automation, it was basically all just scenes & conveniences. But all-on & all-off buttons with over 200 loads is pretty cool. :(
http://www.newsouthernhome.com/index.html

Back