Electrical Wiring and Cat5 question

JohnBullard said:
Could it be that the "same hole issue" is from a SAFETY standpoint (OK's is safe to run these wires in the same hole), rather then from a performance issue?

ie - UL certification says the product is safe, not that it will work worth a darn.

Just wondering since that is all the reasoning I can see in this spec.
That's what I'm thinking, too. Although I know nothing specific about this stuff and nobody should trust my ramblings.

But along these lines, I can see the logic behind not allowing high and low wires to terminate in the same box since there is a possibility of exposed conductors coming in contact with each other. Along the runs, on the other hand, where everything is insulated there is no possibility of conductors coming into contact (except in situations like fires where the insulation melts or where the insulation is damaged).

I know someone whose new home has low voltage and high voltage running next to each other. In fact, there are network and speaker wires running along the main electrical connection leading from outside to the breaker box - the power enters at one end of the basement but the box is at the other end. The low voltage wires run less than an inch from the high voltage. There was nothing they could tell the contractor that would get these wires moved.

There was nothing they could tell the contractor that would get these wires moved.

Not gonna pay would have done it! :huh:

MeSteve said:
There was nothing they could tell the contractor that would get these wires moved.

Not gonna pay would have done it! :huh:
Although I don't know the specifics in this case, these days it is common that you don't own your house until it is finished. The overall contractor owns the house. You can't force them to make changes. They will just decide not to sell the house to you and sell it to someone else who doesn't care. Apparently it's not that hard to do. I've heard (second or third hand) about cases where the contractor refused to do something just so that the buyer would decide not to buy the house. Then, the contractor made the requested changes anyway and sold it to someone else who would pay more.

Many buyers don't have much leverage with the contractor.

Back