Electronics

Hello Everyone!

Can someone point me to a website or downloadable ebook that explains the VERY basics of electricity. I have been reading other sites & even when they are explaining things to newbs I don't understand what the hell is going on. I don't know watts from amps & such. I don't understand how things are wired; postive ground & such. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Rod

http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoarti.../HowToIntro.htm
http://doityourself.com/electric/index.shtml
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Im...s/rightNavHowTo
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=HT...htingElectrical
Definitions of common terms

These are just some that I found through google. Let it be known, that not everything is as easy as it should be... When I first found this site, BSR took 30 minutes with me trying to troubleshoot a probem with installing a switch... Low and behold, the wiring in my townhouse is backwards -- go figure.

rodriguez24 said:
... that explains the VERY basics of electricity...
Well, the atoms that have more spare electrons have this uncontrollable urge to send these electrons to atoms that have less spare electrons... :lol:

Guy Lavoie said:
rodriguez24 said:
... that explains the VERY basics of electricity...
Well, the atoms that have more spare electrons have this uncontrollable urge to send these electrons to atoms that have less spare electrons... :lol:
So electronics is all about sharing?

Both Lowe's and HomeDepot sell books about basic home electrical stuff with a definite how-to emphasis. I've haven't looked at any of them too closely, but they looked pretty good for providing basic knowledge.

Rule number one, when messing with electrical lines, turn off the power at the breaker box
or else ________________________________
shocked.gif

If you never touch the exposed ends of the wires why waste your time turning off the power. :lol:

When I first found this site, BSR took 30 minutes with me trying to troubleshoot a probem with installing a switch... Low and behold, the wiring in my townhouse is backwards -- go figure.
Yes, I very much remember that problem as it was one of the more challenging ones!

Treetop said:
Rule number one, when messing with electrical lines, turn off the power at the breaker box
or else ________________________________
shocked.gif
Sad, but true. I wasn't even sure if I had to do this. But I live in a big apt complex. Is there individual breaker boxes per apt? :lol:

Rod:

I believe there should be a breaker box in a closet or somewere for your apartment. Also, if you have a question just ask (just hope you don't have anything as confusing as Treetop's problem mentioned above, hehe). Just kidding, we will work on it till you get it!! The MAIN reason I like this site (and our membership) is that everyone here is dedicated and willing to help others (our main motto here). :lol:

One thing about every circuit box that I've ever seen... the circuits are not labeled (and if there is a sticker on the inside of the door..its worthless). I highly recommend going through each one, seeing what they control, and then marking them. I did this by trial and error, which took a while, but the next time I added a receptacle, it was done in a pinch. I'm sure there has to be a better way than turning all the lights on in the house, turning off the breaker, walking into each room to see what is turned off...

While its easy to tell if a light is off, I also used a small lamp that I would plug into the receptacles to determine if they were controlled by the same breaker... I didn't want to just assume... (I don't trust the wiring in my townhouse :lol: )

Note: If you are going to do this, power down the computer first! And any other sensitive electronics. This just fits under the "better safe than sorry" group.

is that everyone here is dedicated and willing to help others
Here, here!!! And the best part... everyone here has a different background in all sorts of fields... The combined knowledge at this site is unbelievable... ask a question about programming using punch cards... and someone will have the answer... ask some trivia about The Muppets or Fraggle Rock... same goes

psst... the answer is Jim Henson, Ralph, and what are doozers ;)

One simple trick Treetop. Plug in a VERY LOUD radio instead of a lamp when testing for which breaker to power down. Saves a lot of walking back and forth.

Also, like you mentioned, test before you tear into an outlet or switch cover. Also, when tearing into multiple outlet or switches (ganged covers) make sure EACH switch or outlet is off/powered down. (I'm telling you this from experience. Its against code to have multiple sources in one junction box, but my old home had this).

As all of my cover plates are either Ivory or White, each time I have one off, I use a Sharpie to write the breaker number on the inside of the cover plate.

The next time I need to work on that circuit, I just pull the plate, see the number, go flip that breaker, and then....use my GB Instruments Circuit Alert probe to make sure nothing in there is still live.

Like Treetop said, quite often the label inside the brkr box is not always reliable.

Back