ELK after sunset rules

As I understand, the "IS DARK" was introduced to fix the complexity that would be required to handle the time from sunset until midnight, and from midnight until sunrise - as you can't cover both with a single condition otherwise. But if that doesn't work and you want multiple rules to use that same logic, 2-3 rules and your own output seem to do the trick.

As I understand, the "IS DARK" was introduced to fix the complexity that would be required to handle the time from sunset until midnight, and from midnight until sunrise - as you can't cover both with a single condition otherwise. But if that doesn't work and you want multiple rules to use that same logic, 2-3 rules and your own output seem to do the trick.

I have a number of "dark outside"/"light outside" rules and can't say that they have ever failed. The trouble with Elk sunrise/sunset rules is that you can't stipulate "next day" so any sunset to sunrise rule gets messed up at midnight.

ISY doesn't have a "dark outside/light outside" condition, but it does allow "next day" stipulation. I chose to create a "light outside" program which gets referenced as a condition by other programs (light outside = program true, dark outside = program false) creating that simple boolean condition.

See how it could do such, basially just takes what would or could be controlled via 2 rules, sunrise and sunset, just generalizes it for dark/light, so you could prevent an action (like turn on lights during the day) not sure how much it really cuts down.

See how it could do such, basially just takes what would or could be controlled via 2 rules, sunrise and sunset, just generalizes it for dark/light, so you could prevent an action (like turn on lights during the day) not sure how much it really cuts down.

If the dark/light condition didn't exist, you could use an output and 2 rules. Turn on at sunrise, off at sunset. Then reference that output in other programs so that every program that is contingent upon dark/light doesn't have to be 2 programs long.

Back