Elk announces new keypad: ELK-M1KP3

electron

Administrator
Staff member
The ELK-M1KP3 is an addressable, surface mount LCD Keypad for the M1 family of Cross Platform Controls®. It features a 32 character blue/white backlighted display, blue lighted keys, 4 programmable function keys, along with the ELK menu navigation keys.

The M1KP3 is compatible with “external” 26 bit Wiegand compatible proximity readers, allowing cards or fobs to be used for arming, disarming, or limited door strike control, etc. It features a hinged door over the keys.

Elk_M1KP3.jpg

Features:
  • Blue/white Backlighted Hi-Contrast LCD Display
  • Four (4) Programmable Function Keys
  • Unique Menu Navigation/Direction Keys
  • Built-in Piezo Sounder with adjustable pitch
  • Accepts “External” 26 bit Wiegand Prox Reader (Opt.)
  • Input for 1 Supervised Zone
  • One Programmable “Switched Positive” Voltage Output
  • Exit, Stay, Chime, and Bypass Keys
  • Programmable display of time & date
  • Displays system diagnostics and settings
  • Surface mount only
Specifications:
  • Connection: 6 Pin Plug-in "Flying Lead" Connector (Incl.)
  • Color: White
  • Operating Voltage: 13.8 VDC
  • Current Draw: 40-50 mA Idle (low back light level, sounder silent) 160 mA Fully Active (max. back light & sounder active)
  • Size: 3.97" x 5.425" x 1.19", does not cover electrical box

hmmm... i liked the kp2 as an advancement, but i don't like the looks of this one. Looks taller than wide which seems odd... just missing some kindof "coolness" factor like the KP1... can't pinpoint it, but i'm sure some designer could make some suggestions...

Maybe if elk made it look more like Lutron's lighting controls (long, short, discrete, smoke plexi or black cover, etc?)

-brad

disclaimer: i love elk's products, just none of the fullsize keypad offerings... waiting for kp4 :unsure:

hmmm... i liked the kp2 as an advancement, but i don't like the looks of this one. Looks taller than wide which seems odd... just missing some kindof "coolness" factor like the KP1... can't pinpoint it, but i'm sure some designer could make some suggestions...

Maybe if elk made it look more like Lutron's lighting controls (long, short, discrete, smoke plexi or black cover, etc?)

-brad

disclaimer: i love elk's products, just none of the fullsize keypad offerings... waiting for kp4 :D

I agree. The only feature I see different from the awesome KP2 is an "external" weigand feature which I'm already doing with the KP2. Besides the look, what else is new?? I'm trying to figure out why this model would exceed the first 2 versions.

-=*Sharby*=-

It features a hinged door over the keys.
... and ...
[*]Blue/white Backlighted Hi-Contrast LCD Display
[*]Four (4) Programmable Function Keys

IMHO 4 function-keys are enough for most users/applications. But I appreciate continuing the 1 input and 1 voltage-output.

Now I don't know how the "blue" color is generated. From a foil ? Or if this is coming from a LED, than -starting at version 4-maybe the color should be adjustable to every ones taste. Maybe changing automaticly or by any rule from green or blue to red or orange in case of any alarm or event.

I just looked at the street-price: $ 128.50, a little less than the "normal" keypad.

Murphy,
I think the color changeable backlight is a great idea. The only problem is on the blue backlight LCD's, the characters are white with a blue background. On the green or yellow backlight the characters are black with a green or yellow background. It is still a good idea if the problems can be worked out.

Murphy,
I think the color changeable backlight is a great idea. The only problem is on the blue backlight LCD's, the characters are white with a blue background. On the green or yellow backlight the characters are black with a green or yellow background. It is still a good idea if the problems can be worked out.

You could probably change the color of the backlighting of the keys easy enough and even toggle them in alarm (toggle red backlighting of the keys in a fire, blue for burg alarm, and white steady for normal). Maybe use tricolor LED's and also white and or blue LED's. Then you could have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, and White as key backlighting options (maybe even make more colors by combining blue and red etc). But it would be pricey for all of those LED's.

We are working on some interesting ideas with keypads due out in a few months where I am. Customers seem to be looking for more bells and whistles in the user interfaces and installers are looking for consolidated devices to speed up installs. We have RF receviers in many of our keypads and installers love the ease of install. There are more things that can be built into a keypad.

Back