ELK C1M1 DIY Installation

geogecko said:
Have you looked more into this?  I'm interested in this, my only concern is that I don't want my entire network traffic going through this, versus my cable modem, but I'm not sure there is an easy way to hook up the M1 to both networks.  Since I have an ISY-994 also on ethernet, that is my main concern, is the two being able to talk together.  Although, I guess I'd lose that even with the C1M1...
Hello geogecko.  He created another thread on this here  http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/30141-low-cost-247-lte-failoverfailback-solution/  I've read through that and still need to read through the other thread to see his solution.

TheWolf56 said:
Hello geogecko.  He created another thread on this here  http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/30141-low-cost-247-lte-failoverfailback-solution/  I've read through that and still need to read through the other thread to see his solution.
Thanks!  Man, after reading that, my head starts hurting, LOL.  I think what I'm really after, is just a cellular monitoring service for the ELK.  While all that would be a nice setup, I'm not ready to find a way to backup multiple pieces of equipment like that in the event of a power failure.  I'd rather just have something like the C1M1 or maybe one of the others, and just provide battery backup off the main M1 battery, or a separate battery backup, if needed.  I don't really need any other systems to operate during a power failure.

geogecko said:
 my only concern is that I don't want my entire network traffic going through this, versus my cable modem, but I'm not sure there is an easy way to hook up the M1 to both networks.  Since I have an ISY-994 also on ethernet, that is my main concern, is the two being able to talk together.  Although, I guess I'd lose that even with the C1M1...

geogecko said:
Thanks!  Man, after reading that, my head starts hurting, LOL.  I think what I'm really after, is just a cellular monitoring service for the ELK.  While all that would be a nice setup, I'm not ready to find a way to backup multiple pieces of equipment like that in the event of a power failure. 

I'm doing exactly what I think you are trying to do.

I have Comcast cable, and I use that internet connection (with a wired and wireless home network) for access to my Elk M1 (with an M1XSP) via ElkRP, CQC, eKeypad Pro, and M1ToGo (and, if necessary, Remote Desktop or Teamviewer).

But I gave up my home POTS line, which I used for central station monitoring, a year or so ago.  I researched the C1M1 extensively (see my comments in several other threads), but concluded it really didn't do what I wanted.  Like you, I wanted just cellular monitoring for the M1, and some of the dual path options looked less than comforting.  So I ended up with the Telguard TG-1 Express which basically connects to the M1 just like the POTS line did.  I did not subscribe to any of the extra Telguard services since I get all the same features via the programs noted earlier.  The TG-1 is monitored and supervised by a zone on my M1.

Another option for you might be one or more of the Uplink products.

Good luck!

Just installed C1M1 after tiring with keeping a computer free of updates to communicate with XEP.  Alarm Relay got me up and running within 30 minutes.

I'm already missing the email notification in my rules but will explore what ElkLink has to offer. 

I'm also missing the timeserver function of the XEP.  Does anyone know if the C1M1 will update the date/time?

dkemme -

Why did you need to keep a pc free of updates? Are you talking about the OS? I have elkrp running on windows 7 and windows 10 successfully.

Mike.

Guessing he's using an old windows machine and/or browser.

There was an issue with W7 and the firmware on the XEP from what I remember, mainly security upgrades, blocking backwards compatibility.

I am paying alarm relay for cellular primary with VOIP secondary so total is about 23/month more or less. I think the 9 is just voip/copper monitoring.

BTW, AR will raise their rates second and third year a little.

This is my goto Elk forum, so I just wanted to add a note for a future searcher. I changed to a C1M1 and was missing the alerts. I had a ISY 994 Pro but couldn't get it to connect to the Elk via C1M1, but the HomeSeer does connect and then you have all your alerting capabilities back. It's not cheap to buy the HomeSeer and the Elk Plugin, but it's a very powerful integration at least.

dkemme said:
Just installed C1M1 after tiring with keeping a computer free of updates to communicate with XEP.  Alarm Relay got me up and running within 30 minutes.

I'm already missing the email notification in my rules but will explore what ElkLink has to offer. 

I'm also missing the timeserver function of the XEP.  Does anyone know if the C1M1 will update the date/time?

emdee said:
This is my goto Elk forum, so I just wanted to add a note for a future searcher. I changed to a C1M1 and was missing the alerts. I had a ISY 994 Pro but couldn't get it to connect to the Elk via C1M1, but the HomeSeer does connect and then you have all your alerting capabilities back. It's not cheap to buy the HomeSeer and the Elk Plugin, but it's a very powerful integration at least.

I have HS3 with the old M1XEP and it's working fine. Looking to see if I should go the C1M1 route or update my Uplink 4000 to a 5000 instead.
Has anybody used ElkLink, which is supposed to offer SMS and email notifications for the end user with the C1M1?

Back