ELK/CADDX have arrived. Questions?

MRL

My ELK M1 Gold and CADDX NX-448e have arrived. A few questions:
1. I will only have keypad 1 wired to the data bus. I need to jump J3 on the control and according to the manual, jump J2 on the keypad. Sounds simple enough - I use the 2 jumpers included. Correct?
2. The W035A harness has 5 wires - black,white,red,green,brown. I cannot see how these wires connect to the CADDX NX-448e. The 448e appears to have 3 wire terminals labeled TY-F4. How do the W035A wires connect to the 448e.
3. Initially all of my devices will be wireless NX-454 so nothing will be connected to the 16 wired zones. Do I need to do anything with the 16 wired zones and the EOL resistors?
4. AO sent me an additional transformed TRG-2440 and the M1GSYS4 had the TRG-1640 in the box. I am waiting to hear back from AO. Do I use the 1640 or 2440?
5. My old system had 2 and 4 conductor wires running from the keypad to the control. Should I replace those wires with Cat5 cable? Should be easy to pull Cat5 using the existing wires.
Thanks. Really looking forward to getting the ELK/CADDX system off the ground - actuall off my coffee table.

Q1. Just follow your installation manual instruction. Did you get the Data Hub M1DHB or M1DHBR or not purchase at all?

Q2. Just follow your installation manual on page 47, wiring diagram, make sure you get the latest manual from the elkproducts.com web site

Q3. If you're not using at all then program as disable under the Configuration Definition

Q4. Use the 1640, you can also see this reference in the installation manual. I'd not use the 2440 because it is 24V versus the 16V that comes with the SYS4

Q5. Replace old wires with Cat5e because it makes life a whole lot easier, the new touchscreen 7" not yet released also using Cat 5e connection

If I were you I'd get the M1DHB even though you're using one keypad now because ANY future expansions can be added to the system via the data hub

Q2. Just follow your installation manual on page 47, wiring diagram, make sure you get the latest manual from the elkproducts.com web site
They sure buried the wire connections in the programming section.

If I were you I'd get the M1DHB even though you're using one keypad now because ANY future expansions can be added to the system via the data hub
I think I will order the M1DHB data hub. I have RJ45 plugs and a crimper to put the ends on.
I also have some Cat 6e cable (left over after running a gigabit Ethernet LAN in the house) I might as well use.

Q5. Replace old wires with Cat5e because it makes life a whole lot easier, the new touchscreen 7" not yet released also using Cat 5e connection
I am going to run 2 Cat 6e cables from the control in the basement to the keypad in the foyer. I expect this will be adequate.

I also plan to mount the CADDX NX-448e in the foyer closet so I will use 3 of the Cat 6e wires to connect the 448e to the W035A.
The ELK 73 speaker will also be in the foyer - I'll use 2 of the Cat 6e wires to connect the speaker with the control. OK?

Is it possible to get more of the cute little squeeze wire connectors?

I personally would not mount the wireless receiver in the foyer closet. If you want optimum reception then install it at the highest point in the house.

You mentioned about "squeeze wire connectors". Are you refering to the little red cap gel connectors that generally used to splice telephone wires together? If it is then I use them all the times. I think these connectors are good for wire size from 22-26 gauge some manufacturers have them from 24-28 gauge.

I personally would not mount the wireless receiver in the foyer closet. If you want optimum reception then install it at the highest point in the house.
I have a 3 story house where the basement at the back of the house is at ground level - door and windows. There will be wireless devices on all three floors - basement, main, bedrooms. The old system had the antenna in the foyer closet so there is already a wire there running to the basement. Why highest level? Will mounting it on the third floor provide good reception to the basement? I would have thought that putting it in a central location would be better.

The little squeeze wire connectors are ELK 900-2 for plain connectors and ELK 902-2 for gel filled. 500 to a pack. Most all the distributors carry them.

Spanky said:
The little squeeze wire connectors are ELK 900-2 for plain connectors and ELK 902-2 for gel filled. 500 to a pack. Most all the distributors carry them.
Yeah, they are commonly called B Connectors. Automated Outlet has them in 250 packs as well. White are plain and Yellow are gel.

Back