Elk Chime via other speakers/TS07 ???

Herdfan

Guess I'll be going to my backup plan - disable the chime altogether, use the Elk-120, 129, and 4(5? I lost count) Elk speakers i'll have around the house to do a chime via the rules, and make it sound like whatever I want.

IVB post this in another thread I found while doing a search and it is related to the question I was going to ask.

We currently have an M1G with 2 keypads. One in the MBR and one by the garage door. We spend a lot of time in the basement and wife wife would like to be able to hear the chime down there, but putting in another keypad will be a PITA since she doesn't want it to be able to be seen from outside (daylight basement with most rooms open to the back windows).

So based on IVB post, it seems I can add an external speaker to do chimes. How do I do this. Also, he indicated that he would disable the chime. If I would need to add more speakers to get the chime back on upstairs, I would rather find a place to put another keypad in the basement.

Second Question: If I do decide to go with another keypad, I would like to move the M1KP from the MBR to the basement and replace it with the TS07. How bright is the TS07 for bedroom use? Does it go dim after not being used for a short period, or can it be dimmed significantly?

Thanks.

Herdfan said:
Guess I'll be going to my backup plan - disable the chime altogether, use the Elk-120, 129, and 4(5? I lost count) Elk speakers i'll have around the house to do a chime via the rules, and make it sound like whatever I want.

IVB post this in another thread I found while doing a search and it is related to the question I was going to ask.

We currently have an M1G with 2 keypads. One in the MBR and one by the garage door. We spend a lot of time in the basement and wife wife would like to be able to hear the chime down there, but putting in another keypad will be a PITA since she doesn't want it to be able to be seen from outside (daylight basement with most rooms open to the back windows).

So based on IVB post, it seems I can add an external speaker to do chimes. How do I do this. Also, he indicated that he would disable the chime. If I would need to add more speakers to get the chime back on upstairs, I would rather find a place to put another keypad in the basement.

Second Question: If I do decide to go with another keypad, I would like to move the M1KP from the MBR to the basement and replace it with the TS07. How bright is the TS07 for bedroom use? Does it go dim after not being used for a short period, or can it be dimmed significantly?

Thanks.
I'm running outputs from both the Elk mainboard and my Elk-120 recordable module to 2 speakers. I have 3 more speakers which would need to hook up to an Elk-800, haven't run the wiring yet. (It's kinda complex, you need resistors and capacitors and such).

I didn't want to rig it into the home stereo system because there'd be a 1-3s lagtime between when zone power & switching to Elk input source in which the inbound "chime" would probably be lost, or damn annoying to know there's someone at the door or telephone but have to wait to hear the sound.

Sounds like you're not willing to do a 2nd set of speakers, though.

You probably know this already, but the voice chime is heard thru the regular speakers on Output1.

Herdfan said:

Thanks.
The TS07 can be configured to be at a certain brightness when in use, and automatically dim to a configurable dim level after a configurable amount of minutes. It really is a great little unit. I have had mine running for a while now, and haven't ran into a single issue yet. I am hoping to post a review soon.

I have been meaning to ask about this as well. I was planning on replacing my PITA wireless doorbell with a button connected to a zone, and just using a custom chime recorded into the M1G. But the phone recordings suck! So I am considering the ELK-120/124.

IVB, can you post a diagram of how you have this hooked up?

The chime sound is not directed through the Output 1 amplifier. It is generated in the keypad M1KP processor and fed to a small speaker on the keypad. It is not really available for remoting.

You can generate a RULE so that WHENEVER the CHIME SOUNDS then do whatever you want which can include triggering a chime sounding device.

wuench said:
I have been meaning to ask about this as well. I was planning on replacing my PITA wireless doorbell with a button connected to a zone, and just using a custom chime recorded into the M1G. But the phone recordings suck! So I am considering the ELK-120/124.

IVB, can you post a diagram of how you have this hooked up?
Toymaster wrote this up for me, all praise and thanks to him. It's a little simpler now as I got an M1XOVR instead of all the relays, but same basic concept. I wanted the ability for independent on/off of each "zone", so I could put in strategic locations but suppress them if need be. If a mission-critical issue occurred, I can force each speaker on by turning on the relay first, then repeatedly issuing warnings as needed.

I've only got the first 2 speakers run, haven't had a chance to do the

IVB_M1_Speakers_Voice.jpg

Back