• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Elk Compact Echo Spkr fried? M1G 13V.

Just installed a Elk-73 compact echo speaker (20W, 8 ohm) on output 2 of an Elk M1G. This was the only speaker on that output. It lasted about 2 days and then gave an OUTPUT 2 error on the panel. Sure enough the speaker now measures 1.4 ohms vs. the 8 ohms I measured prior to putting it up. The supervisory voltage seems sky high at 13V. Is this normal for output 2? That seems high to run into a speaker. Is that what fried the speaker? The speaker does even seem to have the burnt wiring smell too. Great... Anyone deal w/Elk on returns or how to? I bought it around 12/06 or so.

PS: I also need to return 2 GE NX-454 compact door contacts. Bought 12 and one did not work & one failed after about a week. Very happy w/ them other than that. Very compact... Impressive. Anyone deal w/ returning items to GE directly vs. thru the vendor?

Spanky

On the ELK-73 connected to Output 2 on the M1, was the M1 set for siren output or voltage output. If the M1 is set for voltage output on Output 2, that would explain the speaker opening. A speaker should always be set for siren output. There are self contained sirens that are driven with a DC voltage level where Output 2 would be set for voltage output.

It has always been set to siren & I just checked RP and it still is. The speaker was working as a siren (only used it once to test) & it sounded as a siren so I know that is correct (since it does not have a driver board in the speaker). What is the supervision voltage suposed to be? Is 13V correct?

This happened after I took the 2 existing speakers off and put them on a separate amp and put the amp input and this new speaker on Output 2. The amp input is about 5K ohms I think. Since I set it up about 1 mo. ago, Out2 always measured the 13 v and the original home alarm 2 speakers were not damaged. They still measure 4 ohms in series. This wiring set up should be correct?

The Amp is set for high input which is labeled as 1V vs. low, 250mV. I have not set the alarm off with it like this. Do I need an added resistor for the amp input? If so, what ohms rated? I just put an 820 ohm resistor on the amp input to be safe.

Can someone pls post what voltage they read on output 2 (Elk M1G, siren driver mode)? TIA

rfdesq

maximusbraveheart said:
Can someone check the voltage on their output 2? Thanks!
Output 2 in supervisory mode is 477.2 mv. In alarm mode Output 2 is 6.8 to 7 volts into an ELK relay.

Thanks rfdesq!

Wow guess mine is messed up somehow. With ouput 2 unplugged it is reading 14V! 12V w/ the resistor in place plugged in. I went into RP and switched to voltage output hoping it will fix itself. No difference. Still 14 V. Switch it back to siren; turn it off, and run alarms and still 14V.

Anyone heard of this? Any way to avoid sending the whole board in to Elk? Anything I am not thinking of?

It turns out my board is bad since the strobe flashes all the time.

FYI on the voltages from Elk (which does not seem to match the 1/2V rfdesq measured). Not sure if that has changed at some point?:

Output 2 on the ELK-M1 Gold is a Supervised Output --- you will see approximately 13.8 VDC across the “+” and “-“terminals without the 2.2K resistor in place regardless if it is set for “Siren” or “Voltage”. With nothing connected to Output 2 the M1 Keypad should display “Output 2 Trouble”. With the 2.2K resistor across Output you should read approximately 2.4 VDC. xxxxx...

Thank you,

xx xx

Technical Support

ELK PRODUCTS, INC

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had the exact same thing just happen to me.  I set off the alarm (the ELK-73 speaker did it's siren noise off of OUTPUT 2) and when I turned the alarm off, I had an OUTPUT 2 TROUBLE condition.  I googled the issue and came across this thread - I checked my ELK-73 speaker and sure enough it is fried.  My multimeter shows infinite resistance between the posts on the speaker and it has a nice burned electrical smell to it.  Elk RP still shows that OUTPUT 2 was set to SIREN and not VOLTAGE.

I was using OUTPUT 2 successfully for the past couple of months as I am not using the voice announcements so to ensure they stayed off I didn't have anything on OUTPUT 1.

I have an email into my distributor to see how I go about RMA'ing the board (only installed it in November).  I'll admit I am a little bit nervous about hooking up a speaker to OUTPUT 2 again - I was just about to order another ELK-73 to add another speaker to OUTPUT 1.  I have tried everything this thread suggested (jumpering OUTPUT 2 with a 2200 ohm resistor etc.)  As was noted above, I also find it odd that the supervisory voltage would be nearly 14V (which is what I am still getting).  Could that have contributed to the speaker's demise?  Obviously others have speakers on OUTPUT 2 without any issue but I thought I'd pass this on.