Elk installation w/ insteon

mustangcoupe

With the current promotion from AO see here I am debating if this is the right time to buy an elk. What exactly is required to get everything up and running and working with Insteon.

Required items
  • m1g
  • Door/window sensors
  • I know I'm missing something
  • I'm still missing something
Optional items
  • Ethernet module
  • Wireless stuff
  • Speakers
  • additional Relays
  • Strobes
  • Doorbell stuff

OK, what am I missing for Required insteon compatibility? I know there must be a plc but which one... also can I hook up an wgl800 rf to pick up X10 RF? does it (MG1) process the extended X10 codes? The MIKP have an internal speaker this can be used for prompts, alearts, & announcements right? If so the additional speaker is for an additional "zone"?

For Insteon: a 2414S and an M1XSP (PowerHome software suggested for configuration)

For W800RF: a W800 and an M1XSP, yes it picks up the alarm type of devices

No, the Elk keypads do not have speakers built in. so you will want speakers (ELK-73 or similar?) mounted within earshot of your keypads if you want the voice prompts. If you don't want/need the talking security system aspect, then you can go with the M1EZ8.

So will I need 2 M1XSP ? one for the 2414S and one for the W800RF?

ELK ELK-M1KP SPEC sheet for keypad: Built-in Speaker with Adjustable Beep Tone and Volume
is this only for keypad button presses?

If you don't want/need the talking security system aspect, then you can go with the M1EZ8.
will this also remove the announcements ect that I can have the elk make also not just the talking security stuff? I think this may be an addition to the WAF

So will I need 2 M1XSP ? one for the 2414S and one for the W800RF?
Yes, up to 7 can be installed.

ELK ELK-M1KP SPEC sheet for keypad: Built-in Speaker with Adjustable Beep Tone and Volume

is this only for keypad button presses?
No, it is also for text message alerts, system errors, and a few other things like that.

If you don't want/need the talking security system aspect, then you can go with the M1EZ8.

will this also remove the announcements ect that I can have the elk make also not just the talking security stuff? I think this may be an addition to the WAF
A little more complicated than that. The voice capabilities also allow you to call into the system and have a voice prompt you for stuff, call you cell phone and talk to you and a bunch of other stuff. I would recommend the M1Gold.

To answer what I did for my "optional" stuff: I don't gotta no insteon, but here's a list of what my first few orders were.

I've added even more optional stuff lately not on that list (ie, more motion sensors, more speakers, more custom audio through Elk), but that list is already far bigger than what you need. It's still a good read, though, so you can see what I did for my setup.

Back