Elk keypad temperature accuracy

mdonovan

Hi all -

I've been setting up my M1EZ8 and I have noticed that the keypad temperature display is always several degrees higher than my thermostat, which is about 2 feet away. Neither is in direct sunlight. I also have a weather station with indoor temp and it pretty much agrees with my thermostat.

I keep my thermostat set at 60 (because of the price of heating oil! ;) ), and today the thermostat reads 62, the weather station reads 62.9, and the elk keypad reads 68.

Is there any sort of calibration I need to do to correct this?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer

Matt

mdonovan said:
Is there any sort of calibration I need to do to correct this?
From page 3 of the keypad installation manual:

TEMPERATURE READING ADJUSTMENT If the Keypad internal temperature sensor appears to read higher or lower than other room thermostats/thermometers, it may be due to the Keypad mounting location, the room conditions, or the installation of a optional Mini Prox Reader (ELK-M1PR). The Keypad has an adjustment procedure which allows compensation for these conditions.
1. Press and hold the " * " key, followed by the F5 key . HOLD BOTH keys pressed for 5-10 seconds or until the LCD displays Exit when done. F1 Set Addr. (This is Keypad setup mode) NOTE: This mode may also be accessed by removing power from the keypad (unplugging the data bus cable) and then applying power while holding any key pressed.
2. Press the F2 key and the LCD will display: Temperature Degrees F = XX.X (This is the current temperature)
3. Use the UP or DOWN arrow keys to adjust the current temperature display until it approximates the desired setting. Each press of the arrow keys changes the setting by approximately 3 tenths of a degree (00.3) It may not be possible to end up exactly on an even temperature setting. 4. Press the Exit key twice do return back to the regular operation mode.

The main M1 installation manual also makes reference to this adjustment in the Appendix G. ;)

Thanks Mike. I didn't see that in the docs (and from reading your referenced post I'm not the only one).

Matt

elcano said:
The main M1 installation manual also makes reference to this adjustment in the Appendix G. ;)
So I see. Guess I should RTFM first huh?

Thanks for the reply though.

Matt

THis is interesting. As both the keypad and the thermostat offer caliberation. So which one is correct?

I gues I need a temp sensor that is accurate. Any suggestions to know what the real temp is by walking in to different rooms??

I caliberated my thermostat ;)

regards

As both the keypad and the thermostat offer caliberation. So which one is correct?

I gues I need a temp sensor that is accurate

It can be done, but its a PITA. Back in the 70's when I started feeding weather readings to the NWS, we got a high quality mercury thermometer around 18" long, then dropped by a NWS station and verified the accuracy. Using that as a guidepost, I then calibrated the min-max thermometer at my house.

In your case, I wouldn't bother. Just calibrate the sensors so that they read the same. Your body doesn't care if it's really 60 degrees or 68 degrees. It just knows that it's too warm or two cold. :rolleyes:

Back