Elk M1 - can't power back on. Help!

cezar_oz

Alarm - Elk m1 Gold was working OK for almost 7 years.

Last night I finally had to change the battery - no issues, but the "low battery" warning on the keypads did not go away

Today alarm shut itself down during the day and now I cannot power it back on.
>>AC power LED is on. Status LED is off. I tried other power points - same result.<<

I can start from battery only using the 2 contacts in the bottom left-hand corner. It starts up OK. In this case:
>>AC power LED is off. Status LED is on.<<

Any thoughts how can I start it again from mains?

Check the AC input to the panel from the white power adapter (with a multi-meter if you have one). You should be reading around 16 volts AC (not DC).

Ensure that when you get a new one to measure the voltage again at the M1’s input screw terminals. Make sure there isn’t any voltage drop that would indicate a short or some other malfunction drawing abnormal current from the supply.

One additional note for anyone reading - when you replace the battery, it doesn't immediately clear the alert; it waits until the next battery self test which, IIRC, is only done once a day.

Elk's transformers are PTC protected.....at least all the M1 SYS kits I buy come with them. Green LED should always be on. If there's no output, like this case, the suspect would be the information given.....

Bad battery, causes charging circuit to work harder, which in turn can do two things, either kick off the PTC's for aux power because the panel can't keep up with the overall output (Elk engineering question) or the panel attempts to draw more from the transformer, which in turn, kicks off the PTC within the transformer.

Suggestion is to unplug the transformer, wait 10 minutes or so for the unit to cool and re-test.

White paper on Elk's site re: Bosch and Radionics alarm panels and use of their transformers that would provide background information.

Back