ELK M1 Exit Delay

rfdesq

I am a bit confused, not all that uncommon. I have an ELK M1 customer installation that has both exit delay 1 and exit delay 2 programmed into various zones in area partition one. The entry/exit delays are programmed as 15 seconds each for entry/exit delay 1 and 90 seconds each for entry/exit delay 2. Entry/exit delay 1 reads properly on the keypad associated with the delay 1 door, i.e. it reads 15 seconds for exit and 15 seconds for entry. The problem is the keypad display on the delay 2 (it is a force armable zone). The keypad reads fine for the entry delay 2, when I get to the display after entry it still reads 60 seconds or so. The problem is in the exit delay 2 time display. The keypad reads and starts to countdown from 15 seconds, not 90 as is programmed for delay 2. Since it is a force armable zone it doesn't violate so it seems to work properly. Shouldn't the exit delay 2 start counting down from 90 seconds instead of the 15 that is programmed into delay 1? I know the manual contains language about the extension of exit delay 1 and 2 when a zone is force armable but it doesn't say anything about the display reading a different exit delay time. Thanks.

Since it seems like I stumped the band I had to go to ELK tech support. This is a quirk that has been brought to tech supports attention before. All keypad exit delay displays will always read what is programmed into exit delay one, no matter what. Entrance delay displays correctly but not exit delay. Just something you have to live with since it is hard coded into the M1.

This is one of those never win problems. We used to display the longest exit time. The problem is exit 1 could be much shorter than exit 2 and the person thinks they have enough time to get out but really does not. We suggest you put exit 1 time as the shorter time from exit 2.

the obvious question would be, why not write the hard coding to display the right time on the right display? seems resonable to think it can be done as anything can be done, LOL.

the obvious question would be, why not write the hard coding to display the right time on the right display? seems resonable to think it can be done as anything can be done, LOL.
A biting question. But I now see how that would be a problem, at least in this customers install. If all zones are secure then the M1 will not know if you are exiting the exit delay 1 or exit delay 2 door. From this one garage keypad there is a choice of which exit delay to exit. So the M1 does not have that information until the exit door is violated or in the case of a force armable door which exit delay door is open. Now I could argue that if the force armable exit delay door was violated then the keypad should read the correct exit delay2 time, but maybe I won't go that far. I expect my M1 to do everything and more.

A biting question. But I now see how that would be a problem, at least in this customers install. If all zones are secure then the M1 will not know if you are exiting the exit delay 1 or exit delay 2 door. From this one garage keypad there is a choice of which exit delay to exit. So the M1 does not have that information until the exit door is violated or in the case of a force armable door which exit delay door is open. Now I could argue that if the force armable exit delay door was violated then the keypad should read the correct exit delay2 time, but maybe I won't go that far. I expect my M1 to do everything and more.

Does anyone know a panel that CAN do this?

Back