Elk M1 Gold Burnt Chip Help Please

natederry

IO have an M1 Gold panel with 4 expanders, 6 keypads, 4 relay boards, and 2 RS232 modules. I use the heck out of this panel, and aside from it's little quirks, I love it. That being siad, last week, we had a mishap and one of the chips on the board burnt up. I contacted ELK and they called it un-repairable - however they offered a replacement panel that is a refurb, with no warranty, for half the cost of a new panel. That just doiesn't sound like a very smart decision to me, and I would hate to shell out the $500 for a new panel when all I have to do is replace a single chip.

This is where the difficulty comes in. The chip is burnt enough that I cannot decipher the writing on the top to cross reference a replacement.

I need someone in here who has access to an M1 Gold to read the top of the chip and tell me what the letter are, so that I may order a replacement and get this thing back up and running.

The chip is Q27, and is located just above the 2nd fin of the black heatsink at the bottom of the panel. It is an 8 pin SMD chip. There are no other chips on the board that have the same markings. I am able to make out 2 "a"'s in the middle of it, but that's about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you are not able to read the chip, a high definition picture of that area of the panel would work also.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

Mine is

4401B
"Symbol that looks like a G but not a G"AM△
W14B

Typically Q or T denotes a Transistor on a PCB.

I have ordered the chip, and will repair as soon as I get it. My wife and I are having automation withdrawls.

Hey Nate, welcome to CT!

Please do keep us posted.  I don't understand why they wouldn't offer to repair this, unless they only repair chips which have some sort of socket.

If you don't mind, can you take some pictures (or video) showing how to replace the chip?  While it's probably only for folks with really good soldering skills, the more info out there, the better.

Thanks!

I ordered SI4401BDY-T1-GE3 from Mouser. The pinout matched the circuit layout on the board. It is a 40v P-Channel MOSFET. As soon as I get it, I will post a few pics of the repair process. Thanks Again!

One question to ask is why did burn up, unless you know. What took it out? I would find out before you replace the chip and have that happen again.

Here is a good photo

Elk_q27.jpg

Chip burnt up because system was running on battery for 2 days and the battery was very low. They say that there is a low battery cut-off built into the board, but it didn't work, this time. I ordered two chips, just in case there is still another issue on the board, but I am assuming that the only issue was the extremely high current due to the extremely low voltage.

Thank you to all who have submitted photos, that was exactly what I needed.

Back