Elk M1 Gold false alarm during arming

smcdonal

Hi,

I've been having the strangest problem over the last several years that has been nagging me and I'm hoping someone here has seen or provide some insight on.  I would be eternally grateful!  :)

Basically, the problem occurs during arming in the split second after punching in the last digit of the alarm code to arm but before the countdown starts.  The alarm goes off immediately without even a 30 second disarm countdown and I think the keypad might even power cycle.  Then my alarm company calls and I have to acknowledge the alarm.  It generally happens when I'm in a rush to leave and I open the door the moment between the last digit and the countdown starting.  One time it happened when I was arming stay mode and the area motion sensor lit in the moment.  I suspect it is a race condition in the Elk code or perhaps a bad setting?

My hardware version is 0.13, firmware is 5.3.8 and my keypads are all M1 KP2 with firmware version 2.1.54.

Thanks!

Steve

I like to keep it simple. Is it possible that this is just a simple case of letting the delay begin before opening the door? Another way would be to make the door force-armable and open it before arming the system. This way the system will bypass the door until you go out and close it behind you at which point the door would become armed.

Mike.

I would experiment with setting the door zone as an interior follower. "Follower" zone definition is meant for a motion that is pointing at the keypad and violated as you are arming the system but it may work for what you are experiencing.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I like to keep it simple. Is it possible that this is just a simple case of letting the delay begin before opening the door? Another way would be to make the door force-armable and open it before arming the system. This way the system will bypass the door until you go out and close it behind you at which point the door would become armed.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It would be nice to keep it simple that way if it were just me but for the wife and kids it is not quite as simple.  ;)  I have set the force-armable flag.  I guess I completely overlooked that flag and forgot the meaning of it.  Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

mikefamig said:
I would experiment with setting the door zone as an interior follower. "Follower" zone definition is meant for a motion that is pointing at the keypad and violated as you are arming the system but it may work for what you are experiencing.

Mike.

I will take a look at this as well.  Thank you for your suggestions.  :)

I'm not understanding how the system is alarming when you're just arming it?

Is a specific zone generating the alarm or no zone indicated?

Sounds more like a zone definition issue or item that is generating an alarm.

DELInstallations said:
I'm not understanding how the system is alarming when you're just arming it?

Is a specific zone generating the alarm or no zone indicated?

Sounds more like a zone definition issue or item that is generating an alarm.

Hi Del,

Yes, it literally goes straight to alarming the moment after I punch in the last digit of my alarm code.  If anything, I would have expected a disarming countdown.  This alarm condition also gets called in to the CS and I have to answer the phone and confirm the alarm.

There is a specific zone, which is the zone that triggered the split moment between arming it but before the exit timer begins.  A couple times it was the door I was exiting opening it a little too soon, and once is was the kitchen motion activated by the kids still in the house while arming it for stay mode on my way out to run an errand.

Just so we are clear, this happens very rarely, and as Mike has suggested, simply waiting an extra split second after arming it is what I generally do, with the only exception being motion sensors potentially setting it off when arming stay mode and occupants (ie kids) still in the house.

Thanks,

Steve

Back