ELK M1 Gold wireless options

ryanpublic

I'm curious to find out before I buy them.

I would prefer to stick with one wireless network and I think  I'm leaning towards using he Wireless Honeywell Ademco receiver with my ELK M1 Gold control panel.

I want a couple of keyfobs, 2 garage door sensors, and some slimline contacts for a gun cabinet.

In the future I may want to integrate some door locks in the future.

The GE System seems a little more expensive than the Honeywell system
The ELK System seems incomplete as far as options (and more expensive)
I thought about Zwave but it seems like I have to make a big commitment (order several ZWave devices, tools, interfaces, and perimeter devices).  Seems like a lot of trouble although it does seem like an Open interface.

Any advice?

BTW this is my first post.  I have been looking for answers on this forum and I do know these have been discussed but it's difficult for me to find this exact request.  I apologize if I'm bringing something up that's been beat to death.

I wouldn't rely on Zwave sensors for security; automation - maybe.

The Elk 2-way wireless options are definitely limited, especially when you compare them with Honeywell's 5800 Series offerings. I'd suggest the Elk system with the Honeywell interface. If you want to do door locks, lighting, etc later, I'd have no issue suggesting Zwave for those things, but that is a separate wireless system.

Is there a particular reason why?

The 5804 and 5834-4 are confirmed to work with Elk; as they are listed in the M1XRF2H installation manual as confirmed supported devices.

Why I'm nervous about the Honeywell keyfobs working with the ELK system?  I guess because I don't have a lot of experience in this area and the fobs are sort of control devices (not merely sensors) from a different manufacturer.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience setting up an ELK system with Honeywell Keyfobs.

Right, I was asking why you would be worried about it, since those models I listed above are confirmed to work with the M1G panel via the XRF2H receiver. As in, Elk has endorsed the use of those keyfobs.

Unlike other items, in the case of security hardware, it's actually better to use other than the OEM manufacturer in many cases and applications. For major components, such as expanders, keypads and the like, you must stay with the same manufacturer.

Back