Elk M1 - Keypad Stopped Working & Announcements Stopped

gWarez

I have a couple of separate issues with my ELK M1 that I am hoping for assistance with. 

1) The Keypad(M1KP) stopped working and now displays "Lost Comm.". I've tried several things, but can't get it working. I have tried to delete it entirely and this isn't working. 
I unplugged the keypad from the M1 then turned the M1 off and back on. I then connected via ElkRP deleted the keypad and ran the module enrollment. It still showed the M1KP listed as 'Missing or not working'. I've tried several different variations of plugging/unplugging the keypad and power cycling the M1 and I have not been able to either get the keypad working or even get it deleted. (I should be able to delete the keypad this way, right?)

2) I used to hear announcements whenever I'd open a door or window. Trying to fix the keypad issue, I upgraded the firmware from 5.2.4 to 5.3.10. After this, I no longer get the announcements. Just to test, I was able to create a rule that announced "Front Door" when the front door was opened. However, this used to work without requiring a rule for each Zone.
The Zones still have the same values in the Voice Description section. And in the Globals section, all voice messages are enabled. Any idea what could've happened and how I can get these announcements back?

Thank you 

Quote from the installation manual page 14:

"Upon power up the control will perform self-diagnostics and auto-enroll the first keypad (Keypad Address #1). Any additional keypads or expanders must be manually enrolled using Installer Level Programming"

The M1 automatically enrolls the first keypad upon power-up which leads me to believe that it is true that you must have at least one keypad connected at all times.

Mike.

As for the zone announcements, I would not concern myself with that until the data-bus/keypad problem is corrected.

Can you describe everything that is connected to the M1 data bus? Is it just the one keypad?

Mike.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I had read a post elsewhere on this forum about deleting the keypad, so that's why I figured it could be done. Maybe they were talking about a secondary keypad though. 

On the data bus, just the M1KP is connected. I have been having problems with it for quite sometime now. Every 4 - 6 months or so, it would stop working and report "Lost Comm". Running the module enrollment in ElkRP would usually fix it.I guess it may be time for a new keypad. 

First I would try removing and replacing the jumpers on the address and termination at the keypad. It might correct an intermittent connection.

Another thing to do is to connect the keypad and test the resistance on the data bus at the M1 with the Mi powered off. There should be 65 ohms +-10 ohms measured between data A and data B. This will ensure that the wiring is OK and the termination is correct.

Based on the symptoms, I would suspect the media first. If category cable was used, possibly damaged or nicked, or in the case of a DBH and RJ45's, possibly a bad crimp.

I'd meter and possibly reterminate the keypad cabling.

It appears it was the wiring after all.
I installed that keypad over 10 years ago and hadn't removed it from the wall since. Well, I finally did and, although the wiring and connections looked fine, just moving the wire a bit fixed the problem. I will cut and re-crimp. 
Thanks. 

Back