Elk M1 seems to have a glitch monitoring an auxilary power supply

CORT

Hello,

I am having a strange problem with my Elk M1 and its monitoring of an auxiliary power supply. Specifically, the Elk is having problems clearing a short term aux AC fail situation.

My setup features a supervised auxiliary 12V 6A amp power supply that is used to power motion sensors, glass break detectors, etc. The auxiliary power supply’s “AC fail” supervisory relay‘s normally open contacts (part of a form C relay) are connected to a zone on the Elk M1. A 2.2k EOL resistor bridges the contacts at the relay.

The zone is setup through ElkRP as zone definition “32 = power supervisory”, “type 0 = EOL Supervised”. Up to here everything works fine. I can unplug the auxiliary power supply from the AC wall power, and Elk status for the zone goes to “violated”. I plug the auxiliary power supply back into the wall and the status almost immediately goes from “violated” to “normal”. So from a simple electrical standpoint, the supervisory relay works the way it should. The zone is wired and sensed correctly.

Here is where the problem is. If I unplug the auxiliary power supply from the AC wall power, it takes the M1 14 minutes to register an AC power failure fault and report it to the keypads. The zone will show violation almost immediately, but the AC fail alert is delayed. Worse, if the power is restored within this 14 minute time frame, the fault will not clear. See the sequence of events below:

My action: Enter ElkRP, clear log, and exit ElkRP.
Log reading:
Thu 11/29/2007,12:07,1,LOG CLEARED
Thu 11/29/2007,12:10,1,1364 = REMOTE PROGRAMMING ENDS

My action: Pull auxiliary power supply AC plug from wall socket at 12:12 PM
Log reading:
Thu 11/29/2007,12:26,1,1365 = AC FAIL TBL - POWER SUPV ZN, Aux PS AC Sensor (Zn 48)

Note that there is a delay of 14 minutes for the M1 to register an AC fail situation.

My action: Plug auxiliary power supply AC plug back into wall socket at 12:27 PM
Log reading:
Thu 11/29/2007,12:27,1,1385 = REMOTE AC RESTORE, Aux PS AC Sensor (Zn 48)

The above scenario shows loss of AC power to the auxiliary power supply, registration of AC failure (albeit 14 minutes late), restoration of AC power, and registration of power restoration.

Here’s where it gets sticky. A short term power loss confuses the system:

My action: Pull auxiliary power supply AC from wall socket at 12:36 PM. Plug auxillary power supply AC plug back into wall outlet only 2 minutes later at 12:38 PM.
Log reading:
Thu 11/29/2007,12:50,1,1365 = AC FAIL TBL - POWER SUPV ZN,Aux PS AC Sensor (Zn 48)

Note that once again there is a delay of 14 minutes for the M1 to register an AC fail situation, but reapplying power within this 14 minute window does not clear the AC fail alert. The power supply is plugged back into the wall, but the M1 is still registering an AC fail. Logging into ElkRP and going to the status screen shows that the zone is “normal” but that there is an AC fault.

Does anyone else have this problem? How can I get rid of the 14 minute delay for the M1 to register an auxilary power supply AC failure. Why won’t the fault resolve with restoration of AC power within the 14 minute time delay?

Make sure you have the latest software version of the M1.

There was an AC fail restoral issue fix in the recent past. ;)

Thank you both for the suggestions. My M1 has 5.0.12 firmware revision and bootware 3.2.2. I will upgrade to firmware 5.1.4 and bootware 3.3.2. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I will adjust the AC fail report timing in the timings control panel and see if that fixes the problem.

Thank you both for the suggestions. My M1 has 5.0.12 firmware revision and bootware 3.2.2. I will upgrade to firmware 5.1.4 and bootware 3.3.2. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I will adjust the AC fail report timing in the timings control panel and see if that fixes the problem.
I updated the firmware and bootware in the M1 and this did not fix the problem. Next, I am going to adjust the AC power fail report timing and see if that does anything.

Cort, howgoezit? Any progress on this issue?
Is a non-answer an answer? I need to check the timing of things a little better. I adjusted the setting in Elk RP to notify power fail after 1 minute, not 15 minutes. I think it is working ok, but I need to check it a little more. I pulled the AC plug on my auxillary power supply today and a few moments later received the configured text message on my cell phone that there was an AC fail problem.

Back