Elk M1G and 240 Volt lighting control?

fleetz

I live in Australia and am currently looking very seriously at the ELK M1G as my preferred choice of HA controller. In Australia the ELK is rebadged and supported by Ness Security and Australian wide security equipment manufacturer and wholesaler.

My issue of concern at the moment is what lighting/dimming and power gear to use and indeed what is available in 240V AC. There is an abundance of 110VAC gear but am struggling to find a satisfactory soloution. I do not want to go down the X10 path as I have a few components already and they are not very reliable. Certainly would be interested in UPB digital as it appears from all reports to be very robust.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction. I want to be able to set up scenes, dim and support 2 and 3 way switching on the lighting side. One the power side remote control of say a water feature, pool pumps etc.

Appreciate any feedback, suggestion and recommendations

Thanks,

Fleetz in the Land Downunder

Just back from our good friends at Ness Security in Sydney. Really a good company to do business with.

There are several solutions coming to market in the near future that the M1 will support other than X-10 which is available in 240 VAC.

UPB is being used in commercial lighting systems so there may be switches for 240 VAC available.

The Zwave frequencies that are available are not compatible with Australia. Bummer!!

Best to contact Ness Security for the latest lighting information.

G'day Mate!

Spanky said:
Just back from our good friends at Ness Security in Sydney. Really a good company to do business with.

There are several solutions coming to market in the near future that the M1 will support other than X-10 which is available in 240 VAC.

UPB is being used in commercial lighting systems so there may be switches for 240 VAC available.

The Zwave frequencies that are available are not compatible with Australia. Bummer!!

Best to contact Ness Security for the latest lighting information.

G'day Mate!
G'day Spanky Digger Mate!,

Thanks for that feedback.

Yes I agree with you the Ness crew are pretty switched on. I am in contact with their Adelaide office and getting very good support. Was there yesterday and was informed about the Clipsal C-Bus interface for the M1G coming out soon.

I am hoping to get a little more info on to what level the interface implimenation is going to happen. Just feel that in the 240V market this is the week link.....lighting and scene control. Before I jump into to buying the Ness/ELk unit from Ness it would be really nice to know what my options are re lighting control.

Whilst the Clipsal gear in very expensive it is local and more importantly if the C-Bus interface is very extensive I can see the M1G doing very well down here in Australia.

I have done a lot for research on HA both here and OS and we are really in our infancy in HA. I really want to go the M1G in fact I will probably order the unit and a bunch of accessories from Ness in the next day or so just waiting on a quote.

I am encouraged by what I learnt yesterday on the C-Bus interface can I assume that once it is implemented that C-Bus will be part of the ELK supported firmware? Or is it and interpretter on the C-Bus interface that will have all the C-Bus smarts?

I have been looking at the UPB as an alternative solution for lighting control however have yet to find a 240V solution. I would like to see that an alternative to the C-Bus solution exists just incase it goes pear shaped. I don't doubt it will just not sure what the interface will do and more importantly what I want from my HA solution, which is not too much basic dimming function in probably 6 locations, scene control probably 4 and some remote power probably 3 or so water features and the like.

If you know any links to 240V UPB gear that would be great.

The other great thing about the ELK product compared to the others I looked at is the way that ELk are accessible to the market. This shows they are responsive to market needs and wants. If they are reactive and timely to market needs they will over run their competitors before they realise what has hit them.

I know first hand as the company I ran for 15 years which I sold to a large Australia communications company back in 2002 here in Australia was exactly like you guys. All the big international competitors knew exactly who we are now.......much to their shegrin! Keep up the great work on a product that I believe is very well supported.

Regards,

Fleetz... a very shy and retiring Aussie! :)

G'day!

I am also considering the M1 here in Perth. Unfortunately, I haven't had a great deal of success in finding someone who is very knowledgeable in it's HA side of things.

My major requirement is for the system to be able to control 2 reverse cycle ducted aircond system. (by phone)

So far, no one has been able to give me a solution. Do you guys have any ideas?

Grumpy Smurf said:
G'day!

I am also considering the M1 here in Perth. Unfortunately, I haven't had a great deal of success in finding someone who is very knowledgeable in it's HA side of things.

My major requirement is for the system to be able to control 2 reverse cycle ducted aircond system. (by phone)

So far, no one has been able to give me a solution. Do you guys have any ideas?
The M1G and a RCS controllabel RS-485 thermostat with the appropriate interfaces should do your job.

The theromstats are at http://www.resconsys.com/products/stats/serial.htm plenty of places in the US you can buy them on line.

I am in Adelaide and have contacted Ness Security who bring in the M1 panels under a rebadging Ness/Elk.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

fleetz

The M1 has a generic interface to lighting, thermostats, etc. The serial expander interface, M1XSP, or a version of it converts the generic interface to the specific device that is connected to the M1 such as the C-Bus.

For the Australian market stay in touch with Ness Security for the latest devices that they are interfacing to the M1. It may be different from the equipment that is listed on the ELK Products website which is for the North American market primarily.

Great to know that CocoonTech is stretching worldwide now. Cocoontech will have the latest tidbits of information on new products for the M1 as they are released.

Have a wonderful day. Kiss a kangaroo for us!!

Spanky said:
The M1 has a generic interface to lighting, thermostats, etc. The serial expander interface, M1XSP, or a version of it converts the generic interface to the specific device that is connected to the M1 such as the C-Bus.

For the Australian market stay in touch with Ness Security for the latest devices that they are interfacing to the M1. It may be different from the equipment that is listed on the ELK Products website which is for the North American market primarily.

Great to know that CocoonTech is stretching worldwide now. Cocoontech will have the latest tidbits of information on new products for the M1 as they are released.

Have a wonderful day. Kiss a kangaroo for us!!
Hi Spanky,

Kiss a Kangaroo you ever tried to catch on of those buggers!!!

Ness have been really great I am looking forward to doing business with them. I have recieved some warm fuzzy prelimary data on C-Bus implimentation and it looks great. I can move forward now and commit to the M1G.

I am looking forward to other challenges ahead of selecting and interfacing other devices. Should keep me off the streets! On another topic.....

You referred to the following in previuos post. I refer to http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=2970 which quotes..

"The M1SDK serial port software tool is available free. It helps write and test the ASCII strings that are available on the M1 to control other devices or other devices control the M1.

You can download the ASCII Serial Protocol from the ELK Website under the documents section."

www.elkproducts.com

Send a request for the M1SDK to [email protected]

I have done just that, requested a copy of the software tool and recieved a response from Trudy Hammer who was confused by my request and she thought I was reffering to the M1XSP hardware. I have sent her a detailed email explaining what exactly the ASCII software tool is and basically does. I have and I hope you don't mind pointed back to the thread and suggest that she ask "Spanky" in the ELK developement team!! Not sure if "Spanky" has come out the closet......so if she comes a lookin I have given you fair warning!!

I just got an out of office reply from Trudy notifying me that she is on the holiday break. I am not desperate for the software tool just yet so it can wait. Just wanted out of curtesy keep you in the loop given I have mention the source of where I found out about the software tool for SDK capable people.

Now I am of to try and catch one of those bloody Kangaroos! Hope they are as fast as I last remember!! (-:

Regards,

Fleetz.....now in training to run down and kiss a Kangaroo!!

Back