ELK M1G and Rainbird Rain Sensor wiring?

flyguy

First of all, thanks to those of you that helped with my irrigation questions from a few months ago. The Elk now controls eleven 24VAC rainbird irrigation valves via an M1OVR and M1RB and a bunch of rules in RP. So far, so good.

I have just installed the rainbird RSD rain sensor: http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/turf/man_RSD.pdf but the only way I could set it up is in the common line (24VAC) going out to the valves... basically, if there is no rain, the sensor allows the circiut to complete when the relay closes, but when there is rain sensed, the rain sensor opens the common line which "breaks" the circuit even though the relay has closed in the ELK.

This is all good and works the way it should. The only problem is the ELK is not aware of the fact that the rain sensor has activated.

So my question is this: Is there another way to wire this sensor so the ELK is aware of the rain sensor's state? It can be wired NO or NC, but needs 24VAC which kills the usual sensor wiring straight into the ELK inputs.

I was thinking that if the ELK knew about the rain, then there could be rules enabled to kill the irrigation, provide announcements, maybe phone me if windows have been left open etc.

Looking forward to your ideas.

I believe that is really just a simple SPDT switch as it has no power input connections. I bet it would work fine if you simply connect it to the Elk's zone input.

EDIT: removed my brain fart about connecting to the Elk 12VDC bus... I meant to connect it to ground, which is the same as the zone input ground, but that is just confusing. Thanks for catching me mustangcoupe.

I dont have my elk yet(it shippoed from AO yesterday) but I was just planning connecting it to a zone input. Then Create a flag and when that zone (depending on how it is wired NO or NC)is secured/unsecured then set the flag. In your rules for the zone valves look at this flag and decide wether you want it (the zone) to come on or not.

Ah, I didn't read that document to well! ;)

I thought the rain sensor needed 24 VAC for its operation and output a 24 vac to control valves. Such is not the case as was stated by the replies above.

One of the simpliest way to know if it has rained outside is to use the RAIN-CLICK rain sensor.

It can be adjusted in 1/8 inch increments of rain and a set of contacts close which can feed back to a M1 zone input to control the sprinklers with a Rule. When the sensor drys out the contacts open. Very simple operation!

Spanky said:
One of the simpliest way to know if it has rained outside is to use the RAIN-CLICK rain sensor.
I believe that is functionally the same thing as the Rainbird model discussed. I suspect many people make them since they are required by law on all sprinklers around here.

Mine looks exactly the same but is made by/for Toro the ones sold for toro look alittle diffrent now but function the same

Okay guys... you quickly and correctly answered my questions again! I tried hooking the rain sensor directly to an input on my ELK and........ it works just like any normally closed alarm contact. Great!

Thanks. Now I have to start dreaming up some good rules for this new functionality.

Again, great discussion and thanks for the help.

flyguy said:
Okay guys... you quickly and correctly answered my questions again! I tried hooking the rain sensor directly to an input on my ELK and........ it works just like any normally closed alarm contact. Great!

Thanks. Now I have to start dreaming up some good rules for this new functionality.

Again, great discussion and thanks for the help.
Although you already figured it out. I just wanted to post I've had mine working for 2 years now just as been talked about.

Back