Elk M1G and volume control for just one speaker

jsivak

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to start off by thanking everyone for all the help I've gotten by just reading various posts. I do have a situation that I'd appreciate help with.

I just installed an M1G and I want to add a speaker right next to the enclosure so that when I'm working on the system I can hear announcements. The problem is that the enclosure is right next to my home theater and I want to be able to silence announcements on just that one speaker. Can I install an ELK-800 and use the volume control on that device?

So connected to OUT 1 I would have two sets of speaker wire (18-2) connected (in parallel): one set to my main speaker (ELK-73) on the main level of my home and one set to the ELK-800 which would have another ELK-73 connected to it which would be volume controlled through the ELK-800's volume control.

1. Am I correct in assuming that that would bring my total ohms to 16, even with the use of the ELK-800 since I'm dealing with two 8 ohm speakers in parallel?

2. The ELK-800 is an amplifier. Is it safe to connect it to OUT 1 on the M1G panel?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Hi Guys,

1. Am I correct in assuming that that would bring my total ohms to 16, even with the use of the ELK-800 since I'm dealing with two 8 ohm speakers in parallel?

2. The ELK-800 is an amplifier. Is it safe to connect it to OUT 1 on the M1G panel?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

1. No. You will end up with 4 ohms. You would end up with 16 if you connected them in serial.

2. This is a good question. I wish the ELK had audio output "zones". And it also doesn't appear that it's possible to raise/lower the volumes on the speakers using an automation rule (like to turn the volume down after 9pm when the kid goes sleepy). Ideally, I'd be able to keep the speakers in non-kid parts of the house turned up louder, and have a separate speaker zone for under the eaves outside that would give a quiet warning message to anyone detected by motion.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

1. No. You will end up with 4 ohms. You would end up with 16 if you connected them in serial.

2. This is a good question. I wish the ELK had audio output "zones". And it also doesn't appear that it's possible to raise/lower the volumes on the speakers using an automation rule (like to turn the volume down after 9pm when the kid goes sleepy). Ideally, I'd be able to keep the speakers in non-kid parts of the house turned up louder, and have a separate speaker zone for under the eaves outside that would give a quiet warning message to anyone detected by motion.

Signal15 is right, 2 8 ohms speakers in parallel will yeild 4 Ohms, 2 8 ohms speakers in series will yeild 16 Ohms.

one option might be a relay to switch the speaker on during these times when you are working on the pannel

IIRC, the elk has relays on the main board, right? If so, you could run the speaker via the relay, and just disable it when you want.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Signal15 is right, 2 8 ohms speakers in parallel will yeild 4 Ohms, 2 8 ohms speakers in series will yeild 16 Ohms.

one option might be a relay to switch the speaker on during these times when you are working on the pannel
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Also, thanks for the correction on my ohm calculation.

So, plug both sets of speaker wire into OUT 1 and route one set through a relay to give me the ability to mute that speaker. Doing that would eliminate the need to use the ELK-800. I think I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks!

Jeff

Could someone draw this up for me real quick? I mean, what would it look like on paper if I connected two speakers in parallel to Output 1? And in series? It confuses me. I have three speakers now and I think they are wired in parallel.

It's now that I realize that I really should have paid attention in high school. At least, I am paying attention now. ;)

How about a quick drawing or picture of a speaker connected to Output 1 and a relay to turn it on and off? I'm clueless, but I learn quick.

Could someone draw this up for me real quick? I mean, what would it look like on paper if I connected two speakers in parallel to Output 1? And in series? It confuses me. I have three speakers now and I think they are wired in parallel.

It's now that I realize that I really should have paid attention in high school. At least, I am paying attention now. ;)

How about a quick drawing or picture of a speaker connected to Output 1 and a relay to turn it on and off? I'm clueless, but I learn quick.

Here is website for parallel/series speakers and combination of that

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Here is website for parallel/series speakers and combination of that

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
This is precisely the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks a lot. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Back