Elk M1G E-Mail setup

jimhannah

Thanks to much support from this forum and lots of fun (er-uh hard work), this newbie has the M1G completely installed with a host of sensors, M1XEP, expansion modules, power supplies, and some automation stuff, etc. Even have some pretty good rules written and tested. The install has actually gone very well and I have fully tested the security portion in "live" conditions and it seems to function perfectly as planned. Lighting automation has been flawless to-date.

Now, the feature I have been really banking on is causing me the most difficulty. I want the M1 to send a text message to my cell phone any time it goes into alarm condition. After days of reading manual, checking and double checking settings, researching this forum, I have decided to ask for help!! I think the problem may be with my Comcast ISP as indicated in one of the threads here. I have setup the M1XEP with the proper(?) smtp and port settings, etc, for my Comcast account using the proper(?) Comcast URL. I have set my cell phone e-mail address as the first e-mail message. When the "Test" button is clicked on the M1XEP setup page, a text message is sent and received within 10 seconds to my cell phone. Flawless. I have also tested using my laptop e-mail address as the first e-mail message with same good results.

Problem is when I set up a test of the alarm and even a daily comm test, I get no report message. I even set a rule to send e-mail on alarm and still no message (could be separate problem from alarms reporting).

Could the problem be with "Central Station" settings? On the M1XEP setup page under Central Station tab, it asks for CS IP address and other stuff. I don't know what to use here and currently it shows all zeros of course.

Please try to point me in the right direction. Let me know what else you need to know about my setup.

TIA,
jim

You must set up the email address in the M1XEP setup area for email. If you press the test button and get an email, it is working.

Write a Rule that is triggered on the event you want to send the email on and in the THEN statement send the email using the email address setup in the M1XEP.

You must set up the email address in the M1XEP setup area for email. If you press the test button and get an email, it is working.

Write a Rule that is triggered on the event you want to send the email on and in the THEN statement send the email using the email address setup in the M1XEP.

I'm having the same issue... If I hit test, I get the message in 1-2 minutes. No matter what rule I write, no e-mail seems to be generated. I decided to try something simple, just to verify it. I wrote a rule to tigger at a certain time of day that was to do 2 things.... send an e-mail and beep the keypad. The keypad started beeping, so I know the rule fired, but still no mail. After waiting 2 minutes, I modified the subject of the message in the M1XEP setup, hit TEST and 1-2 minutes later, the message with the modified subject arrived!

Any more thoughts?? I don't know what else to check....

Brian

Back